PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix STD or KNOPPIX_V3.4?

hagel666
11-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Hello,

I see there is two complete different Knoppix versions and I want to know why? And what to choose or what to prefer?

The two different versions are Knoppix STD and KNOPPIX_V3.4 and can be found here

http://www.knoppix-std.org/
http://www.knoppix.org/

Thanks in advance,
Hagel.

hagel666
11-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Nobody who knows the difference? Strange when there seem to be so many Knoppix users...

ICPUG
11-16-2004, 07:45 PM
I knew nothing about Knoppix-STD so followed your link.

It would seem that STD is a customised version of Knoppix of special interest to those interested in security features.

Knoppix 3.4 is the base version of Knoppix which was initially developed as a rescue disk but now comes with such a lot of stuff it can be used by the user who wants a Linux Desktop system with all the tools to write documents, create spreadsheets, play music and video, burn CDs, play games, browse the web, send mail, ...

It is especially useful for people who want to try out Linux without upsetting any existing operating system. In its default state Linux will not trash your PC and it will work without having to partition and format disks or install anything. If you get Knoppix from one of the disk suppliers you will not even have to learn how to burn an ISO file to a CD.

You will find many other customised versions of Knoppix as well, usually with different names. They each have their own purpose but if you are a general user you cannot beat the original!

My answer to your query is that unless you have a specific interest in security get the other Knoppix. By the way, the latest version on general release is 3.6.

ICPUG

Gralfus
11-16-2004, 09:04 PM
There are many distros based on knoppix, such as the Penguin Sleuth Kit, Knoppix-STD, FoRK, Helix, etc., many of which are intended for computer forensics.

As ICPUG said, it is probably best to stick to the main version (just called Knoppix) unless you have specific reasons to use one of the others.

hagel666
11-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys.

I actually got into this topic (linux on cd) because of computer forensics, which I study right now (IT-security).

And as I understand, all the different versions of Knoppix has its own pros and cons, so I guess it's a good idea to get more than one.

I'm also going to try VMware with Linux on Windows, seems pretty cool too.

Thanks again,
Hagel.