PDA

View Full Version : I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

mimes
11-16-2004, 02:24 AM
After trying to install Knoppix to my harddrive, I found i needed to partition it, in doing so, i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!But I changed the filesystem to ext3 and now I can't write to it. also there's a strange locked folder on the drive called "lost and found" now. could someone please help?

firebyrd10
11-16-2004, 03:26 AM
After trying to install Knoppix to my harddrive, I found i needed to partition it, in doing so, i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!But I changed the filesystem to ext3 and now I can't write to it. also there's a strange locked folder on the drive called "lost and found" now. could someone please help?

That when you shut down incorrectly and the computer searchs for lost files.

CrashedAgain
11-16-2004, 05:05 AM
... i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!
Most people would be really upset at this!
If you can still do it, I suggest you partition to at least three partitions. One for operating system (4-5Gig) one for data and a small one for swap. That way you don't lose your data if you have to do an operating system reinstall.

mimes
11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
The problem is, though, that my hd is unwritable, thus QTparted doesn't work and nor does cfdisk. How can I make these programs work?

CrashedAgain
11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
The problem is, though, that my hd is unwritable, thus QTparted doesn't work and nor does cfdisk. How can I make these programs work?

What have you done to try to write to it? Sometimes the icons don't work, try 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'.
QTparted and cfdisk (and Linux fdisk) will only work on an unmounted drive, running from CD QTparted should be able to detect, partition & format the HD without having the HD mounted.

Cuddles
11-16-2004, 06:03 PM

First thing, what did you use to write to your hard disk before? The one that apparently formatted your hard drive, thus wiping out everything on your hd, and made it ext3 formatted? ( and how did you do it before? )

Second, you aren't trying to do any of these commands, programs; qtparted or cfdisk, with the disk mounted, are you? -=- be sure the drive is unmounted, you cant access a hard drive for partitioning if it is open, i.e. mounted.

Third, you are doing these commands as ROOT, aren't you? The "knoppix" user, or for that matter, any user - other than root - does not have enough permissions to do these commands. -=- if your prompt says "knoppix", then do a su, this should make you root, from a CD boot of Knoppix. ( within a Konsole window )

Hope this helps,

mimes
11-17-2004, 01:42 AM
I have made a brand spankin new post with all the information u need to know. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14863
Thanks for all the continued help everybody. You all are what makes Linux go round and Microsoft stop! :wink:

mimes
11-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! You all are great. I "zeroed" the HD, and made 3 partitions with QTPARTED. Now i can install to the hd. But, I am going to install Kanotix. Kanotix is better for HD install. If anyone has any rejections, please reply.