PDA

View Full Version : cfdisk problems!! Not the same as above discussion

Bidi
11-16-2004, 03:16 AM
OK, here's the deal. When I get into cfdisk I have the follow 3 partitions: hda1, hda2, hda3 being used by Boot (100Mb), Knoppix (19Gb) and Swap (500Mb) respectively. I just want to create another partition but when I select the Knoppix partition and press "n" it tells me "This partition already in use". So my question is, how do I make another partition? .

Thanks

mzilikazi
11-16-2004, 03:55 AM
You can't repartition a drive if it's mounted. You'll have to reboot w/ the Knoppix cd and shrink your 19G partition w/ qtparted then create a new partition in the freespace. Realize however that this may cause some weird happenings w/ your partition layout! Personally I would delete the swap partition and recreate it after resizing your 19G partition.

Bidi
11-16-2004, 04:51 AM
You'll have to reboot w/ the Knoppix cd and shrink your 19G partition w/ qtparted then create a new partition in the freespace. Realize however that this may cause some weird happenings w/ your partition layout! Personally I would delete the swap partition and recreate it after resizing your 19G partition.

You're going to have to explain that to like my a retard, cause that just went way over my head. Here's what I understood: I boot knoppix off of the CD, go into cfdisk and delete the swap partition. That's it... What's qtparted? And how does it work?