PDA

View Full Version : Kde update without internet conection

daurelio
11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Hello everybody!

I have a second computer without internet conection. This computer is runing Knoppix 3.7 Welt version.
My question is: it's possible to update to kde 3.3.1 (debian sid) without direct internet conexion? Can I save the files I have in my first computer (with internet conection) and install them on my second computer?

Thanks
Daurelio

Ps: I'm a newbie, sorry if the question is a bit silly!

Cuddles
11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Hello,

First, I dont think its a silly question, it can be quite valid, in a case where you have a "isolated" computer...

The problem is, I think you could, but, then again, I dont think you can...

You could save the apt-get install files, but, those files would be based on what you have, or need, for the system you are running the install on. Dependancies will be used using the system you are using for the install, and not the "intended" system it will "ultimately" be installed on.

Hence, it might work, and why, I think it might not work... You not only need to worry about the "install" files though, since you will be using apt for the install, you will also want to use the database used in the "update" for apt-get as well... Since that information is used when you do a apt-get install...

I could be wrong on this information, but, in my best guess answer, I dont think you can do it... Someone else may have a better answer, and I am sure, I will stand corrected ( not the first, or the last, time, thats for sure :D )

Hope this helps,

OErjan
11-16-2004, 08:44 PM
apt-cdrom. is one way.
you download the latest/greatest Debian Dist CD's (sid or sarge) and apt-cdrom from those CD's. they can be ordered for a moderate cost or a friend... can likely make them for you.

daurelio
11-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Thank you both of you for your coments!

I have another question. If i get the cd's of Debian Sid I will get the same packages that are available at Debian site? And I can install the packages I want in my knoppix? Where I can get the cd's of the Sid version? On the Debian site I only can see Stable and Sarge.

Thanks, once more!