PDA

View Full Version : cannot change language

plener
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
kde with hd install--how can i chabe it from german to english?--i do not read german!!

tried right clicking on fage on system tray to english and configured it to english--re boot same problem--can you walk me thru using kmenu tehnique knoppin 3.4 all menu items are in german--cannot read it

tiajavascript:emoticon(':roll:')
peter

Cuddles
11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
I am sure there is a way to do this through a command line, but, here goes my best attempt at the GUI...

KMenu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Country/Region & Language - you might want to be sure this is in "United States of America", then check the other tabs, for any "customizing" changes / preferances...

While you are in Control Center, you might want to check "Keyboard Layout" - and make sure you are using the right keyboard overlay - this is the one that shows as an "icon" in the tray, right next to the clock...

Hope this helps,

CrashedAgain
11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Are you booting with lang=us? Check /etc/lilo.conf, 'lang=us' should be in the 'append='line. If it isn't, add it then re-run lilo to implement the change. Might be a bit awkward to make the change if you have to work with the German keyboard but you should be able to make the change to lilo.conf while running from CD then just boot the HD, go to a terminal, type 'sudo lilo' then reboot.

plener
11-17-2004, 05:13 AM
cannot i repeat read German

all kmenu items are in German!

i need someone to walk me thru this
etc/lilo.conf has no statement related to any language
knoppix 3.4 on hard disk

CrashedAgain
11-17-2004, 05:32 AM
cannot i repeat read German

all kmenu items are in German!

i need someone to walk me thru this
etc/lilo.conf has no statement related to any language
knoppix 3.4 on hard disk

Boot Knoppix on CD

Mount your knoppix HD partition read/write.
In a terminal do:
type 'su' to become root
type 'mount -rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5'
type 'kate' to open kate file editor as root

Open the file /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf

Edit the lines 'append=' in the 'image=' section of lilo.conf to add 'lang=us'

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
label="Knoppix24"
root=/dev/hda5
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
append="lang=us apm=power-off ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init nomce quiet nofstab wheelmouse"
read-only

Save the file.

Reboot into Knoppix on HD. You will still be in German but immediately open a terminal and type 'sudo lilo' to run lilo to implement your changes.

Reboot. You should now be in English.

plener
11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
sorry for this confusion

root and one other user boot into english

only one user boots into german
i only want to change boot language for that user!!

tia
peter

i really appreciate all of your help on this

i have tried changeing system flage from german to english but it does nothing to desktop for this user--neither does config selection set up change anything--i have moved english to the top of list to no avial

no matter what i love knoppix