PDA

View Full Version : HDD read only, cannot access

greygooseplz
11-16-2004, 09:24 PM
maxtor 20gig HDD

I read XP can overwrite Knoppix files (being the superior OS that it is) so Installed windows Xp pro to a 11Gig partitiion first...

now when I try to install knoppix, i select my HDD in the partition program and it tells me that its read only and cannot access it.
Is there a reason for this? Whats wrong?

thats aas far as I can get so far... :?

rcook
11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Check what you are dealing with. HDD is the slave drive of the second IDE, if present. Usually it is a CD or DVD, if present. Do you have a hard drive mounted as a slave on the second IDE?

Your partitions are hda1 hda2 hda3 etc. on your first (typically boot) hard drive. If you have a second hard drive it is usually hdb. the partitions on it are hdb1, etc. hdc is typically a cd or dvd possibly with write capabilities.

greygooseplz
11-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Check what you are dealing with. HDD is the slave drive of the second IDE, if present. Usually it is a CD or DVD, if present. Do you have a hard drive mounted as a slave on the second IDE?

Your partitions are hda1 hda2 hda3 etc. on your first (typically boot) hard drive. If you have a second hard drive it is usually hdb. the partitions on it are hdb1, etc. hdc is typically a cd or dvd possibly with write capabilities.

The only partition is the one created by Windows Xp, it was an ntfs with 11 gigs used..
I was trying to create the swap/main linux partitions and ran into this...

Heres an exact error message, shoulda wrote this down thefirst time....

"
Opened disk read-only-you have no permission to write"

If I press any key I get this....

"Fatal-error: cannot get disk size

Press any key to exit cfdisk"

I tryed to use the code, ignore_check=1 sudo knoppix-installer, but got no changes....

[edit]

Also, I only have one HDD and one cd drive, both are on seperate IDE cable and both are master.

greygooseplz
11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
ok, i had to create the partitions in knoppix, didnt know that...

used qtparted

created primary linux partition, ext3 with 8.9 Gigs
linuxswap 590.62 MB

With 7.38 MB hidded that I cant use (for some reason there has always been about 7 Megs free/unusable)

Ok I got to configure me installation, choosing usernames, administrator names/passwords etc, etc....

I finally try to install, it strats to format and I get this long strange error message.

"
error:formatting of failed.
some messages from mkfs.ext3: mkfs3.ext3 [ -c: -t -l filename] [-b block-size] [ -f fragment-size] [ -i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [ -j journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes]

"

:shock:

i hope everyone isnt as confused by that as I am...

appreciate the help, everyone....

greygooseplz
11-17-2004, 12:17 AM
ill be damn.

I ran "knoppix-installer" from the terminal instead of pressing ctrl-alt-f1 and it worked perfectly...Running Knoppix off my HDD right now, actually :o

Kinda weird but, it works so....

Thanks for all the help people, I REALLY DO appreciate it.

Im sure Ill be around alot, at some point I might even be able to give others help!

ehhh....still havnt tried to boot windows yet :( hope it works...Lilo boot manager showed up when I booted but didnt stay up long enough to let me check it out..