PDA

View Full Version : Multi booting

Mustang64
11-16-2004, 11:39 PM
I've done some bouncing around on the forum but I can't find the answer.

I have Window$ ME on HDA1
Knoppix 3.7 on HDA2
Lindows 4.5 on HDA3
An older Debain on HDA4
And a general purpose area on HDA5 - I use this area for shared files

I have loaded Lilo as the boot loader. Gone through modification of the lilo.conf and rerunning lilo. I can log into WME and back out without a glitch. I can even get into Knoppix and roam around on the Debain install - all without error or any overwrite of lilo... All works fine till I open Lindows

That's when my existing lilo is overwritten by lilo from Lindows! :evil:

How do I stop Lindows from running the script (jiffy boot?) that keeps overwriting my lilo? :?

I think my blood pressure is going up... :wink:

mzilikazi
11-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Hmm well I have never even seen a Lindows OS before let alone knowing anything about it. Does it have run levels like Debian? Where is this 'jiffy-boot' script located and what calls it? I would think you could remove the script or at least remove whatver is calling the script. Strange that any OS wants to reinstall a boot loader everytime it boots......

Mustang64
11-17-2004, 04:52 AM
Strange that any OS wants to reinstall a boot loader everytime it boots......

Tell me about it! Lindows is a Debain Linux. You can find more at WWW.Linspire.com

They went head-to-head with Micro$oft a couple years ago. Seams I remember M$ desiced to settel out of court. Too much evidence against their patent of "Windows".

Anyway, I've asked this question at the Lindows web site too, but I was hoping I would get someones opinion from here too... :)

Thanks

GMD