PDA

View Full Version : Which of these is Knoppix....?

greygooseplz
11-17-2004, 12:30 AM
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/guarddog

i286
ia64
alpha
etc
etc

I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched.. :wink:

Thanks in advance, I only know knoppix is based on debian but, thats it.have no idea which of those I need.

Harry Kuhman
11-17-2004, 12:50 AM
i286
ia64
alpha
etc
etc

I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched..

If you just got it working for the first time minutes ago, I certainly hope you're running from the live CD and not from an "installed" hard drive version of Knoppix.

To answer the version question above, you likey would want the i386 version (if you wanted any). I didn't see a i286 version. Your Knoppix is running siftware that is intended for 386 and higher family processors, the other options are for other processors like the alpha, the 64 bit processors, the power PC, the ARM computers, and so on. If you had an i286 version of something it should work too on a 386/486/pentium/pentium3/pentium4/AMD/... system, but it would be better to use a higher version if it is available (in general you might select a i586 version of software if one is offered and you have a Pentium or better, when both i386 and i586 versions are offered. Linux is often offered both ways).

However, Knoppix on the live CD has lots of software and you generally have less need of a prorgam like Guarddog whe running from a Live CD (hard to infect that Live CD), and you really can't install anything to the live CD. I think there may even be a firewall in Knoppix, but I haven't looked for it.

greygooseplz
11-17-2004, 01:13 AM
i286
ia64
alpha
etc
etc

If you just got it working for the first time minutes ago, I certainly hope you're running from the live CD and not from an "installed" hard drive version of Knoppix.

To answer the version question above, you likey would want the i386 version (if you wanted any). I didn't see a i286 version. Your Knoppix is running siftware that is intended for 386 and higher family processors, the other options are for other processors like the alpha, the 64 bit processors, the power PC, the ARM computers, and so on. If you had an i286 version of something it should work too on a 386/486/pentium/pentium3/pentium4/AMD/... system, but it would be better to use a higher version if it is available (in general you might select a i586 version of software if one is offered and you have a Pentium or better, when both i386 and i586 versions are offered. Linux is often offered both ways).

However, Knoppix on the live CD has lots of software and you generally have less need of a prorgam like Guarddog whe running from a Live CD (hard to infect that Live CD), and you really can't install anything to the live CD. I think there may even be a firewall in Knoppix, but I haven't looked for it.

ran it off the live cd off and on for past few days, finally installed to HDD...
Dual-boot with windows Xp, i didnt jump into Linux with no backup :wink:

running a P4 3.2 , does this mean I generally select i286?
I dont know what they all mean/or do...i thought it went with different knoppix versions/kernals...

again, im in the stage of learning linux.

Harry Kuhman
11-17-2004, 01:43 AM
I dont know what they all mean/or do...
No, generally for most Linux things you will select i586 versions when you get to make a selection based on processor. If no i586 is offered (and nothing else that looks like your processor), but i386 is, then you can use that, although the code will be written to run on any 386 or higher processor, and so will not take advantage of many of the more powerful instructions that you have on your computer (like MMX instruction and the rest that were added after the first pentiums). One hardly even sees i286 stuff any more, i386 is close to bare minimum in the PC family, but again i286 should work for you, it again uses even less features of your system than an i386 version would. If you go back and look at the original link you gave you'll see that it was an i386 version listed, not an i286 version.

mzilikazi
11-17-2004, 02:47 AM
i286
ia64
alpha
etc
etc

ran it off the live cd off and on for past few days, finally installed to HDD...
Dual-boot with windows Xp, i didnt jump into Linux with no backup :wink:

I dont know what they all mean/or do...i thought it went with different knoppix versions/kernals...

Well you're in for a treat! Application installation is one area where Linux (especially Debian) kicks the crap out of wondows. It usually isn't necessary to go to debian.org and search the packages available there (but you certainly may if you like). We have a package manager called dpkg but you will usually use a frontend to dpkg called apt. So basically if you wanted to install the Firefox browser for example you do this:

su
apt-get update
apt-get install mozilla-firefox

and voila! it installs your application. But wait, there's more! There are even GUI utilities for apt like Kpackage or (my preference) Synaptic. You can browse the extensive collection of packages available and click what you want installed. Please read the apt howto (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638) for further information.

again, im in the stage of learning linux.

Well aren't we all? ;)

greygooseplz
11-19-2004, 12:43 AM
alright, I downloaded the i386 package...
heres what I get when I try to run it...

"""

Password:
root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop# apt-get install guarddog.deb
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package guarddog.deb
root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop#
root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop#

"""

E:Couldnt find package guarddog.deb...

The file IS on my desktop, and the name is correct..I renamed it myself so I didnt have to enter the version number...

Im sure the debian installation is very powerful! but I need to figure it out first!

mzilikazi
11-19-2004, 02:44 AM
alright, I downloaded the i386 package...
heres what I get when I try to run it...

"""

Well.....you don't need to download the package manually, just let apt do it.
You almost have the syntax correct but not quite:

su
apt-get update
apt-get install guarddog

You really need to go read the howto I posted a link to. It will help you immensely.

Im sure the debian installation is very powerful! but I need to figure it out first!

Ahem......see above. :roll: