PDA

View Full Version : Making XF86Config-4 Stick after knx2hd

michaeln
11-17-2004, 04:50 AM
I am trying to force a knoppix remaster to adopt specific values for XF86Config.
I have installed the remaster to hard drive and I'm trying to get the old monitor working.

I want it too, no matter what monitor I use to default to 60Hz 1024 x 768 the system uses a via driver I have got it to start load the via driver but it will only display at 640 x480 on older monitors . On new or near new monitor no problems, this is to cater for old monitor.

I have modified the mkxf68config Knoppix Script and also the XF86config-4.in file and the XF86Config.in but it still defaults to what ever monitor resolution that knoppix finds during its prob.

I have add the following line to XF86Config-4.in and it gets loaded into XF86Config-4

Section "Monitor0'
HorizSync 60 -90
Vertrefreash 30 -50
EndSection

the above gets entered into XF86Config-4

The Mode Line information that is generated by mkxf86config has been commented out but it still appears in the XF86Config-4 file.

If I manually modify the XF86Config-4 and comment out the input from mkxf86config and restart kde (three finger salute) ie ctrl+alt+backspace . when kde restarts the desktop is set to 1024x768.... but if i totally reboot the system everything reverts to what ever knoppix probe thinks the monitor is capable of.

as a hack fix I tried makeing a script that copies a backup of the XF86Config-4 file that makes monitor work at 1024x768, last thing before starting KDM but the script over writes the XF86Config-4 file but it still defaults to 640x480. If I three finger salute restarting KDM when KDE restarts I have my 1024x768.
KDM seems to always be using the probe value not the XF86Config-4 file.

any suggestions

thanks michael
:D