PDA

View Full Version : boot floppy on bbc cd?

outanet
11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Im guessing its possible to boot from a 35meg business card, this is so I can continue to boot to a PMI & home on my usb drive.

Has anyone got a suggestion about how I can do this quickly and easily, should I use the make boot floppy option then dd the floppies to the cd?

or should I try to custom a disk and then bin everything on it exept the boot procedures?

I dont suppose it should take more than 2 x 1.44 meg of space, so there could be 30 meg free for something I havnt thought of yet.

stu

outanet
11-18-2004, 03:22 AM
am i getting the feeling that this is not as easy as it sounds?

can it be done? can I use a slax or a kanotix minidisk?

the machine to be booted does not have a floppy disk drive and only one cd burner, so booting from elsewhere is the only option.

please? can anyone clarify?

to recap, I want the functionality and size of the 2 boot floppies on a cd,ie without the 700 m knoppix file. how shall I do it?

OErjan
11-18-2004, 07:03 PM
read up on ELTorito, that alows you to make a 2.88Mb bootable CD. to then make that boot something else should not be that hard.

outanet
11-20-2004, 12:59 AM
I have an answer, let me explain.

the usb device in question is the new Tosh 100mb 2.5" drive in a usb caddy (host powered) and is therefore quite small, and carrying this into work on the bike is as easy as fitting it in to my shirt pocket or back jeans pocket, the 700mb cd wont fit as it is almost twice as wide and I could never find a happy medium by sticking it down the back of my undies!!!!
the drive comes with a leatherette pouch which is just big enough to house the drive and an 8cm cd or business card disk.
anyway, it turns out that that ole < 50mb "Damn Small Linux" has been updated enough to work with Knoppix' new (3.4) boot procedures, so using dsl-0.8.4.iso

dsl fromhd=/dev/sda1 home=/dev/hda1 myconfig=/dev/sda1
boots the full 3.4 knoppix pmi on my sparkling new drivey toy.
and even doing it the lazy way -

dsl home=scan
and then ejecting the cd after miniroot loads actually works.

now to buy and test those 8cm dvds to slip down the other side of the pouch.
hopes this helps anyone just as anal, and thanks to all interested readers.
:wink: