PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs

Kepaletswet
11-18-2004, 09:44 AM
:( Somebody help me here. I got hooked up in Lnux 3 weeks back and downloaded myself a knoppix 2.4 live cd. My computer can run the live cd but i seem to have difficulties with HDinstall. I have 2 HDs, the master is 30GB(installed WindowsXP) and the slave is 10GB.

Ive managed to install Knoppix to the second HD which is partitioned as hdb1 as root and hdb2(512MB) as the linux-swap partiotion. My LILO is installed in the root partition.

Now comes the problem... I cant boot with linux!! Either booting straight from hdb1 or dual booting. With the dual boot i tried copying the linux boot loader(linux.ipl) to drive c:\ and editing the boot.ini file to dual boot. I can get to the option to choose the OS but when i choose Linux i get a blank screen. I've tried but i seem to be missing something

To add something, during installing i got the message "input/output error" at the end of each command line.

knoppix33
11-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Here's what I did. I installed Win2k3 on HDD1 set as master. Then I removed HDD1 and plugged in HDD2 as master, on which I installed Knoppix 3.7. Then I plugged in HDD1 as primary master and HDD2 as primary slave. When I wanna boot WinXP it boots normally, but when I wanna use Knoppix I press F9 at PC boot and get a menu: BOOT from Floppy, HDD1, HDD2 or CD-ROM. Then I select HDD2 and Knoppix boots up. :wink:

mzilikazi
11-18-2004, 02:22 PM
The easiest solution is to install a Linux boot loader to MBR. It is possible however to use ntldr. Here are a few posts on how to do so:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14608&highlight=
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174&highlight=boot

Kepaletswet
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
There is a hick up ive got (not hicups!! Havent had beer for a while). The bbot floppy i create cant boot. On checking it i only find a locked folder which i cant access.

mzilikazi
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Well it seems to be rather difficult to make a floppy from Knoppix. I don't know why. Anyway..... You can reinstall lilo with the cd. Simply boot the knoppix cd.

su
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
chroot /mnt/hda2
lilo -v
CTRL+D

That will reinstall lilo which should also pick up your windows install.

Kepaletswet
11-19-2004, 07:43 AM
It seems dual booting cant work for me presently so i dicided i will do remove HD1 (the master) and Make HD2 the master and install Knoppix there. I managed to install and on booting i get the cursor
grub>
The installation process refered only to a LILO, or maybe a LILO and GRUB are the same?
I tryed to put in commands at the cursor but couldnt get anywhere.

Mind you i am stll wet behind the ears when it comes to Linux.[/b]

Harry Kuhman
11-19-2004, 07:51 AM
....The installation process refered only to a LILO, or maybe a LILO and GRUB are the same?.....
Lilo and Grub are different. They are both boot loaders, but they are different programs. Lilo takes a little more work, some steps you have to do for it are taken care of automatically by Grub.

Kepaletswet
11-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Kuhlman, but the main question here is now:
When i boot from the HD installed Knoppix (even from the boot disk) i get the cursor similar to this;
grub>

I have tried to put in commands but cant get anywhere. Where am i going wrong? How can i run the OS window? :?