PDA

View Full Version : Help with files that aren't in the home directory using...

WastedFX
11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.

Markus
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
What filemanager? Konqueror? Open a shell and do: kdesu konqueror

mzilikazi
11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.

You must be root to edit anything that doesn't belong to user.

WastedFX
11-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Well I know how root works. I should have said I already tryed what Markus told me to do. I am running it off the cd and it keeps saying I either don't have the privillages or not enough free memory I have 512 megs of ram.

Markus
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Have you set a root password?
Also how much of the memory is free/recognised? Sometimes knoppix doesn't seem to recognise all RAM.

WastedFX
11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
I set a root password via the root term with the passwd command. It seems to use 510 megs of the ram. so I don't see a problem with that.

Markus
11-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Hmm, one last try. Is the partition mounted writable and the directory has write permissions?

CrashedAgain
11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Well I know how root works.

Root is just the administrator level user.

I set a root password via the root term with the passwd command. It seems to use 510 megs of the ram. so I don't see a problem with that.

Exactly what command did you use? It should have been 'sudo passwd'?
You could also try
su (to become the root user)
konqueror (use konqueror if you are just going to copy/move files)
OR
kwrite (use kwrite to edit text files)

You will not be able to edit text files using konqueror as root because konqueror must open kwrite to do the edit & konqueror-as-root is not able to open kwrite-as-root. It cannot pass on the root level privilagles to the second program.
Another way: if this is a file you are going to repeatedly edit, copy it to /home so you can edit as user.