PDA

View Full Version : Networking fiiles from Knoppix to Windows

turbonow
11-19-2004, 10:20 AM
I got a couple of files on my harddrive and im running knoppix from a cd because windows slapped of on this computer. I have changed my root password but now?. Hooow do i transfer the files to my pc. When i try to LAN browse it keep saying that lisa isnt activaed. whats wrong?
And when i try to browse knoppix in windows it asking for a username and a password, i dont really know what it is. Help me!

/Turbonow

shah
11-19-2004, 10:38 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12379&highlight=samba

:D

Harry Kuhman
11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
I got a couple of files on my harddrive and im running knoppix from a cd because windows slapped of on this computer. I have changed my root password but now?. Hooow do i transfer the files to my pc. When i try to LAN browse it keep saying that lisa isnt activaed. whats wrong?
And when i try to browse knoppix in windows it asking for a username and a password, i dont really know what it is. Help me! /Turbonow

You could try learning the mysteries of Networking Knoppix and Windows. It can be done and there are a lot of threads on this site that discuss it. Not sure I would want to do that while under the pressure of having to recover my data though.

There are several other things that you could do with Knoppix that might be easier. You could transfer the files by ftp. It only took me a couple of minutes getting an ftp server working under windows, I expect you could go the other way and let Knoppix be the server instead of the client, as well. You could e-mail the files to yourself (got a 1 gig gmail account?). If the file is too large to email, I saw mention here recently of a site called yousendit.com that will let you send and store for up to 7 days files up to 1 gig in size, no account needed. Works great, the file you need to send is uploaded by the browser. And I came up with what I think is a handy trick a few days ago. You use another live distro, damn small linux, to make a bootable cd with a 50 meg bootable linux. You write it to a multi-session CD and leave the CD open. You then boot it in the target sysem (assuming that system has a CD writer). Damn small linux includes a CD writing application in it, so you can use this to write files to the remaining 650 megs of space in a second session. When you are done the CD is no longer bootble, but you have up to 650 megs of recovered data sitting safely on a CD. For more details see this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14781&start=0