PDA

View Full Version : 3Com Wireless USB Network Asapter

MadBassist
11-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g USB Adaper (3CRWE25411G72) and I'm trying to get it to work in knoppix. According to the ndiswrapper page my card uses the prism54 chipset and IS supported by ndiswrapper. I have tried using the knoppix ndiswrapper config tool with two drivers (the original drivers from the cd and the latest drivers im using in windows) both tiems i get the message that the driver was loaded but there was no new device found. since ive used 2 kinds of drivers I dont see what the problem is, is there another way to get this card recognised and working other than using ndiswrapper? The device (sort of) appears in lsusb. it appears as 3Com Corp, but that's it. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance :>

grant_vallance
11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g USB Adaper (3CRWE25411G72) and I'm trying to get it to work in knoppix. According to the ndiswrapper page my card uses the prism54 chipset and IS supported by ndiswrapper. I have tried using the knoppix ndiswrapper config tool with two drivers (the original drivers from the cd and the latest drivers im using in windows) both tiems i get the message that the driver was loaded but there was no new device found. since ive used 2 kinds of drivers I dont see what the problem is, is there another way to get this card recognised and working other than using ndiswrapper? The device (sort of) appears in lsusb. it appears as 3Com Corp, but that's it. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance :>

Your problem, from what you have said, [i]might[/b] be the fact that loading ndiswrapper successfully is not sufficient to get the card working. You also need to configure the card to talk to your network/internet.

What other steps have you taken?

What does typing iwconfig in a Root Console tell you?

The other thing you can do, is try to do it completely manually. The steps how to do this is in my sticky post Success with Knoxppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking. This might give you other ideas

I hope to help.

Grant D. Vallance

MadBassist
11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
hi there, I've tried the steps shown in that thread, but my wireless adapter does not appear :( I've tried even more versions of the drivers now but none of them work. when i use the Root Shell and type iwconfig, I get the following:

lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wirelss extensions

This is before AND after I've tried loading the wireless driver using ndiswrapper. hrmmph. maybe i shud just get a pci card because tehy are better supported?

grant_vallance
11-22-2004, 10:38 AM
hi there, I've tried the steps shown in that thread, but my wireless adapter does not appear :( I've tried even more versions of the drivers now but none of them work. when i use the Root Shell and type iwconfig, I get the following:

lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wirelss extensions

This is before AND after I've tried loading the wireless driver using ndiswrapper. hrmmph. maybe i shud just get a pci card because tehy are better supported?

I would not give up just yet.

However, unfortunately, I don't know much about the intricacies and pitfalls of getting USB wireless to work. My knowledge solely stems from getting a PCI and Cardbus card to work on a desktop and laptop respectively.

If I get some time soon, I'll look into it, but I have a chapter deadline coming so it cannot be for a couple of days. Hopefully, in the meantime a real Linux guru will be able to help.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance