PDA

View Full Version : Auto execute script after boot

sci_fi
11-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Please, some advice. I have not been able to find an answer in the faq.

I am running 3.7 from live cd. I wish to create a script and have it execute automatically when the knoppix boot is complete.

Specifically, I have written a script that sets up ndiswrapper for my MN-720 wireless adapter and gets to the internet reliably. It would be nice if this script could run automatically after boot.

Most of the info I could find in faq leads directly to re-mastering. This seems like overkill for what must be a common request.

The faq link concerning editing knoppix.sh was empty. No info present. In any case, editing knoppix.sh would seem to require decompressing, editing and recompressing. This is possible, of course, but again, seems like a lot just to get a script to execute.

I am wondering if there is a special file which knoppix looks for in the home directory, and if present, executes automatically on boot.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

eco2geek
11-20-2004, 02:48 AM
Do you have a persistent home? If you do, then running your script would be as easy as saving it in somewhere in your persistent home directory and calling it from ~/.bash_profile.

Harry Kuhman
11-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Do you have a persistent home?..... as easy as .... calling it from ~/.bash_profile.
OK, I'll byte. Clearly we are talking about running from a live CD since you mentioned a persistent home directory. What do you mean by as easy as calling it from bash_profile? Will this let it execute automatically as the post asked? Talk us idiots through it.

sci_fi
11-20-2004, 03:53 AM
Yahoo!!! Eco2geek, thank you so much. A couple of gotcha's but it is working as I type this.

The gotcha's are:

1. The file /knoppix/.bash_profile actually calls the file /knoppix/ .bashrc, so I finally had to put my script there. (I just put it in line at the end of .bashrc))

2. When I first tried this while using the boot cheatcode myconf=scan, both .bash_profile and .bashrc apparently got overwritten and my script thus never was there to execute. When I boot without the cheatcode (using only home=/dev/hda3), it came up and worked. I will have to experiment with this tomorrow when I am more awake to better understand these seeming cheatcode interactions.

Thank you again. I knew there had to be an easier way.

For anybody who may be interested the text of my script to get wlan0 going (I use an MN-720 wireless adapter) is:

cd /home/knoppix/GREG/WLAN0/MN-720
sudo ndiswrapper -i mn720-ankh.inf
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
sudo ndiswrapper -m
sudo iwconfig wlan0 key restricted "my wep key"
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid any
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo pump -i wlan0

There is probably a more elegant implementation, but this works for me.

Thanks again.