PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection

drakkar
11-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I am new to this linux system. The problem I am having is that it doesn't want to connect to the internet. I have a Toshiba A70 which has a atheros Super G PCMCIA card (default). As for the wireless router, it is a linksys wireless B with WEP set. On the laptop I have tried ifconfig to set a static ip address (192.162.1.192) and set the mask correcetly (255.255.255.0) as well as the gw (192.162.1.1). I tried using the utility wavelan configuration utility to set up the WEP and everything. Going into WaveMon show that some signal is being recieved but I can't get on the web. Am I doing something wrong or have a missed a step? Thank you in advance.

mmaki
11-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Make sure the interface is up with ifconfig.
If it's not, bring it up with ifconfig eth0 up (assuming it's eth0)
Run wlcardconfig. Leave everything default except for the WEP key (enter yours) and see if that helps.
If that works you can change back to dhcp and run pump -i eth0 since you will need a name server too or add your name servers to resolv.conf.

GaTk
11-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Check your essid on the router. I have a linksys access point and the default essid is NOT "default" Also try no WEP until you get it going.

Cheers
Ted in Atlanta