greygooseplz
11-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Dvd editors edition...

Ive got a "linux-installer.sh"
how can I open it and install?

has nothing to do with apt-get does it?

eco2geek
11-20-2004, 02:34 AM
There should be a "readme" text file somewhere that you should read - who knows, it may want you to install it as root or as a regular user, or discuss installation options.

But in general, it's really easy. Go to a terminal, get root, mount the DVD if it isn't already, cd to the directory, and type

./linux-installer.sh

to run the installer.

greygooseplz
11-20-2004, 03:14 AM
It says permission denied....?

im using root console..

:?

There was no help files at all, a simple "readme" with the basics...(and was NO help for linux)
and a PDF manual...
Other than that nothing at all relating to linux...

Why would it say permission denied if Im using a root console?

Wrong command?
I typed cd /cdrom
and then a apth to the installer , "./linux-installer.sh"

firebyrd10
11-20-2004, 04:29 AM
It would if your trying to install while still on the cd.

I've tried the demo and you can choose the install path with it.
If you can with the full version too, trty installing to your home directory.

greygooseplz
11-20-2004, 04:35 AM
Got it installed, had to be under Root session...but

The game starts, the splash screen come up, and it closes...never enters the game...

checked the consoel and it had this error...

"
root@KnoppixBox:~# ut2004
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
Either GL_EXT_bgra or glDrawRangeElements not supported- bailing out.

History:

Exiting due to error
root@KnoppixBox:~#

"""

eco2geek
11-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, at least one part of that is clear, except if you've got an NVidea video card.

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using your favorite text editor, look for a line in the "Modules" section that looks like this:

# Load "dri"

and edit out the "#" in front of it. Save the file. Log out of X windows, then log back in and try it again.

I read somewhere that NVidia doesn't use the DRI module (it certainly doesn't on my computer), so you don't want to enable it if you have an NVidia card.

And that's about as much as I can contribute, so I'm bailing out of this topic!

greygooseplz
11-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Well, at least one part of that is clear, except if you've got an NVidea video card.

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using your favorite text editor, look for a line in the "Modules" section that looks like this:

# Load "dri"

and edit out the "#" in front of it. Save the file. Log out of X windows, then log back in and try it again.

I read somewhere that NVidia doesn't use the DRI module (it certainly doesn't on my computer), so you don't want to enable it if you have an NVidia card.

Will my Nvidia card most likely need drivers to play graphic intensive games? ...UT2k4, CoD, AA...

Only games I have, and If I could get those to work Id be doin great..

Ive got an XFX Nvidia card, they have linux support but the drivers page just links me up to the official Nvidia site...
Nvidia didnt have Debian drivers (they had drivers for every version of mandrake and red hat though)

Here is my graphic card...
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT36LUA

Linux IA32

Linux AMD64

Linux IA64

FreeBSD

Im assuming Id be using IA32 (32bit?)...On a P4

ere is the graphics drivers from Nvidia...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4191.html

I downloaded the First Tar file, but I couldnt figure out how to install em'.

If anyone has used those drivers for their Nvidia card, could you give me some pointers...?

Thanks

firebyrd10
11-20-2004, 07:17 PM
You might want to try these, http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html. They are in a singal "run" file.

you've got a Nvidia graphics card you'll need to install Nvidia 3D drivers with 2.6 kernel support after booting into 2.6 so download them and configure your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file if necessary prior to rebooting.

Get the latest official Nvidia driver with kernel 2.6 support from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

Installing the nVidia 3D driver:

1) You'll most likely need to have the nvidia installer compile the driver so make sure you have the 2.6 kernel source installed in /usr/src/linux (if you're following this document then you already do). Also, remember that the linux in /usr/src/linux should be just a link to the kernel-source directory for your running kernel.

2) You'll need to logout of X before installing the driver, do this by opening a terminal and typing init 3, or init 1 (mine was init 1 but most ditro's use init 3 for logging in without X). Next, login as root, cd to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia intaller to, type ls and hit enter, type sh NV, hit the [tab] key then enter.

Configure XF86Config-4:

If this is your first time insalling the official nvidia driver then you'll need to follow the steps below. It's much easier to do these steps while logged into KDE/Gnome/etc... before you log out of X to run the installation routine, otherwise you'll need to know how to use the non graphical Vim text editor.

1) Open a console and make a backup of your XF86Config-4 file with:

cd /etc/X11
cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4-orig

2) Open your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file with a text editor. Under section "Module" make sure you have the following line:

Load "glx"

If you have these lines, remove them:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

Now scroll down to the "Graphics device section" and change:

Driver "nv"

To:

Driver "nvidia"

3) Make the above changes, save, exit, reboot to your new kernel and cross your fingers.

Install Error's:

You must have the appropriate kernel source that matches your running kernel and a .config file in /usr/src/linux or nvidia won't compile.

If you receive any errors while running the nvidia installer then check this file:

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log

greygooseplz
11-20-2004, 08:43 PM

# Load "dri"

I think its already disabled....
heres a copy/paste

"""
Section "Module"
Load "ddc" # ddc probing of monitor
Load "GLcore"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "record"
EndSection
""""

You might want to try these, http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html. They are in a singal "run" file.

Link was down...

firebyrd10
11-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Worked for me when I posted that.