PDA

View Full Version : upgrade broke kanotix

CrashedAgain
11-20-2004, 04:17 AM
It appears kanotix is just as fragile as knoppix for apt-get upgrade:

Fresh install kanotix BH9 to hda5; then apt-get upgrade. Although this is the latest release, upgrade wanted 400+ Meg in new archives.
As soon as it started setting up, got a 'possible database corruption error, will attempt to repair..." then a bunch of debian config setup questions.
Then the setup process started & almost immediately errored out:

Unpacking sed (from .../archives/sed_4.1.2-2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up sed (4.1.2-2) ...

No `START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY' and no `This file documents'.
install-info(/usr/share/info/sed.info): unable to determine description for `dir' entry - giving up
dpkg: error processing sed (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
sed
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Tried apt-get -f install, then tried apt-get remove sed figuring to remove/reinstall it. Dire warnings about removing an essential package but force it anyway, now it won't reinstall (same error).

There was a post on the German kanotix forum about this same error, suggested fix (Kano) was to insure kanotix sources are in the sources.list (they are). This does not repair the problem.

Attempted to continue with the upgrade but errors reported in several packages which need sed to install or remove. At present I have removed sed & it refuses to reinstall.

Cannot post on the Kanotix board, it recognized my registry but won't let me log on.

Any ideas other than the obvious reinstall the whole thing & start over?

champagnemojo
11-20-2004, 05:45 AM
I got that error as well crashed. Got frustrated with trying to fix it, and finally just downgraded back down to the previous version of sed. That worked just fine and all is well now.

Also, while kanotix really is much smoother with upgrades than knoppix, it's still not as smooth as installing a fresh debian install (and you should consider trying that sometime). But once you fix few simple issues on the first upgrade things generally go very smoothly with kanotix.

This sed issue shouldn't be taken as representative of kanotix upgrades...this is the first time I've had anything that was really the least bit frustrating happen with a kanotix upgrade. Previously it was just a package here and there needing to overwrite files.

probono
11-20-2004, 09:27 AM
You might ask at http://kanotix.mipooh.net/ - Kano is very helpful and can usually provide an easy solution.

Greetings,
probono

kelmo
11-20-2004, 09:53 AM
sed was periodically broken for all debian users, it was coincideantal that you tried to upgrade at that time also.

Kano put a fixed sed up in his own repository very quickly.

Please don't shy away from using apt.

shah
11-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I found something about this problem in Ubuntu and the workaround.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/hoary_wa1
:D

Markus
11-20-2004, 04:09 PM
The debian repositories already have a fixed version 4.1.2-5.

CrashedAgain
11-20-2004, 04:22 PM
I found something about this problem in Ubuntu and the workaround.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/hoary_wa1
:D

That seemed to work. at least it made it through the upgrade. Thanks