PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning a 18 GB NTFS drive with XP Pro loaded

fester13
11-21-2004, 03:14 AM
First off: Fester (me) = Noob!

OK, I have a 18 GB laptop with XP and NTFS. I have about 8 GB of space free and want to partion this 8 GB and install Knoppix on that.

I have read a good portion of these posts and can't find anything relating to this.

Can I partition this drive with QTParted so I can dual boot?

If someone knows the process or where I can find it, please let me know.
I know there is always a risk to partitioning, but it's not may laptop and don't want to render the computer useless.

Fester

shah
11-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Can I partition this drive with QTParted so I can dual boot?
You only know you can dual boot only after you install knoppix.. :lol: :lol:

I know there is always a risk to partitioning, but it's not may laptop and don't want to render the computer useless.
There is no risk of partitioning unless you try to resize yout ntfs partition.
In your case, you have free 8G, there should not be a problem. You could use qtparted or cfdisk to create partition. You have xp, you can just create partition from within xp....get a partition manager that support linux partition ex: partition magic, ranish, partition commander, paragon...etc

From that 8G free space:
1) Create between 250M--->500M of Linux swap partition
2) The rest of the free space, create a Linux ext3 partition.

Boot knoppix cd and run konsole (in kde):
su
knoppix-installer
**follow instruction**choose to install lilo to mbr**
If there is problem prior to installation..........post again in here.... :D :D

fester13
11-21-2004, 03:41 AM
ok, let me clarify, the entire partition is 18 GB and is NTFS, I have 8 GB of space left on the drive. Can I still split the drive and add Linux?

Fester

firebyrd10
11-21-2004, 07:22 AM
ok, let me clarify, the entire partition is 18 GB and is NTFS, I have 8 GB of space left on the drive. Can I still split the drive and add Linux?

Fester

Yes, the ntfsresizer that qtparated uses is stable and safe.
Just make sure you defrag first to decrease the chance of problems (even safe things can cause problems)

First go to the main menu, (bottom left) then go to the system menu, search for qtparted and click it.

Make sure none of the partitions are mounted, click the hardrive, right click the windows partition and click resizer, resize as needed then search for [/b]commit in one of the menus. (Don't remember where it is.

fester13
11-21-2004, 08:38 PM
I go into QT parted and try to resize, but it only allows me to allot 120 MB total. I tried typing in 7GB of free space and it doesn't work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Fester

firebyrd10
11-21-2004, 09:25 PM
I go into QT parted and try to resize, but it only allows me to allot 120 MB total. I tried typing in 7GB of free space and it doesn't work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Fester

That because this (older) version of the program can olny resize intill it gets to data. Including fragmented files. (Knoppix has alot of outdated programs)

this http://www.sysresccd.org/ on the other hand can resize more.