PDA

View Full Version : Where is the persistant home directory and how do I delete

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2004, 10:34 AM
I created a persistant home directory under Knoppix. I told it NO, do not replace my entire hda5 partition with a persistant home directory, then told it to take 30 megs from hda5 for the persistant home directory. Everything went well. I rebooted wih the home=scan option, saved a small file there, confirmed that it persisted. When I went back into Windows I expected to see some file that Knoppix had created 30 megs in size that was holding the persistant home directory (similar to what I think Knoppix does when it needs to create swap space within a fat partition). But I can find no file created by Knoppix (in either partition, it should be on D, my fat partition, which is hda5. C is hda1 and is an ntfs partition).

Where is the persistant home directory that Knopix creates, as seen from the Windows viewpoint?

And how would I remove the persistant home directory (and get the space back) if I wanted to?

eco2geek
11-21-2004, 11:18 AM
It's named "knoppix.img" and (in my experience) Knoppix saves it to the root of your partition. So it should be D:\knoppix.img. And to reclaim the space, just delete it.

If you saved your configuration, the files created would be "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh".

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2004, 11:48 AM
It's named "knoppix.img" and (in my experience) Knoppix saves it to the root of your partition. So it should be D:\knoppix.img. And to reclaim the space, just delete it
Strange, no knoppix.img anywhere. All files beginning with knoppix are well know and none are that. Have a few other img files, but they are flash code for a router or floppy images, certainly no persistant home directory file.

Anyone know what could be happening?

If you saved your configuration, the files created would be "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh".

Nope, baby steps so far. Want to understand one before I do the other, and so far that isn't going too well.

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2004, 12:22 PM
it's just gotten stranger. I retraced my steps. When back into Knoppix. Seemed to no longer have a persistant home directory. Created it yet again. rebooted with the home=scan opion. went to /home and saved a file there. Confirmed it, typed it back with cat filename. rebooted with the home=scan option. The file I thought I had saved was no longer there!

rebooted into Windows. Now the knoppix.img file is right where it should be. So why am I not seeing the persistance when I think I have saved files in it?

firebyrd10
11-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Could mabye have more then 1 PH and now know it?

Instead of home=scan, try home=/dev/hda2 (or whatever yours is)

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Could mabye have more then 1 PH and now know it?

Instead of home=scan, try home=/dev/hda2 (or whatever yours is)

Pretty much has to be hda5, only other partition is hda1 and that's ntfs (and there is no knoppix.img on it). I've been using scan because it's shorter and easier to type, and it seemed like a good habit to start so switching to a USB drive later will be easy. But same results with /dev/hda5.

bandoba
12-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I am seeing exactly same problem irrespective of home=scan or home=/dev/xxx. Any idea what can be wrong?