PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Directory, how do I save there?

williamb
11-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Well I installed a Persistant directory on a FAT32 partition, I didn't format, I just saved the image there. How do I save all my Personal Files to it, is there a command? Thanks.

firebyrd10
11-21-2004, 11:07 PM
at boot type, knoppix home=scan

j.drake
11-21-2004, 11:59 PM
If you set it up, and boot with the bootcode firebyrd10 gave you, you just save to your "home", which is where you defined it to be. Then you go back to your "home" to find it.

Unlike Windows, which anticipates by default a single user having exclusive access to the computer, and having the right, privilege, and responsibility to control all administrative functions, Linux anticipates a multiuser environment, where administrative functions are reserved to the "root" user (the sysadmin). Consequently, users in a *nix environment, as originally conceived, would have their individual home directories, blissfully ignorant of all other users' home directories, and with no idea on Earth (or need to know, for that matter) what type of device stored their home directory. Knoppix anticipates that its users will likely be single users and admins, who demand full control, more like the default Windows situation. So, you're probably used to thinking about storing data in a particular drive and a particular directory, but the persistent home is modeled on the idea that it IS, uniquely, your home directory.

So, just save to home. If you created your PH correctly, your data will be there, and you won't have to worry about it.

If you are interested in a taste of externally administered *nix, check out the SuSE live CD sometime. If you've become accustomed to Knoppix, you will find it extremely frustrating to deal with, because of the lack of control afforded to you. It is very difficult to access any pre-existing data - you are simply presented with an empty home directory to populate, and no apparent way to access your drives. I couldn't wait to dump it. Sometimes people ask me to compare working in Linux to working in Windows. My reply is that Linux is really cool, as long as you're root. But as the SuSE disk illustrated, it would be pretty miserable to be a mere droid with a user account.

jd