PDA

View Full Version : changing run levels? need some advise

helios17
11-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Have a bright shiny new nvidia fx 5500 and need to install the driver for it. I am such a noob, have been a bit intimidated by it in the past but I figure screw it, I backed up to a cd system with kdar, what the heck. Anyway, I do not know how to change into different run levels. (eyes rolling all over the forum, what the hell is this guy doing in Linux?) If someone would give be a boost, I will get this started. I have a Xandros install on the hdb so I might try it on that first since I plan to replace it with fc3 anyway.

thanx

helios

firebyrd10
11-22-2004, 02:08 AM
ctrl-alt-F runlevel #

ex:

runlevel 2:
ctrl-alt-F2

UnderScore
11-22-2004, 05:04 PM
I use the command init # to change runlevels. If i boot Knoppix 3.6 from CD using the cheat code knoppix 2 vga=normal then I am dumped into a console session as root in runlevel 2. If after that I then want to run a normal KDE session I use init 5. If I want to reboot I use init 6 and if I want to shutdown I use init 0. Take a look at /etc/inittab as it will not only list the default runlevel but also list function of the other runlevels.
Here is a good page on runlevels http://www.telenovela-world.com/~spade/linux/howto/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO-6.html.

I hope this helps.
James

helios17
11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
thats what I needed...now I am off to hose my xconfig file

helios