PDA

View Full Version : HDD Install (The Immaculate Perception)

rebel1699
11-23-2004, 05:50 AM
:D :D :D All right guys.I have had knoppix on the hdd as a stand-alone os for two weeks now.The difference on my computer maintnence and reliability is completely amazing.I am currently running version 3.3,but am downloading 3.6 as i type.Using the live disk to rescue crashed windows systems has also given me the chance to convert a few more windows use-to-bes.Keep up the awesome work and thanks for the excellent alternative.

probono
11-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Knoppix wonderworld :)
Enjoy!

Greetings,
probono

mzilikazi
11-26-2004, 07:35 PM
That's one of the funniest subject lines I've ever read. :)

mikalkrall
12-04-2004, 07:02 AM
I -just- got an old PC to play around with a few days ago. Got a new monitor for it today. Downloaded a Knoppix live CD and, being completely new to this, was wondering how I would go about installing it on my hard drive. All I want is Knoppix on it, nothing else. So a complete erasure of the hard drive and full installation. Since you apparently have successfully done so, I was hoping to get some fast feedback.

Please help this newbie out :D

Mikal K.

mikalkrall
12-04-2004, 07:04 AM
I forgot to mention that I have already burned the Live CD and currently have the PC running off of it. It seems to be running perfectly... and it looks gorgeous! Simple, yet clear, instructions would be wonderful! Or, if there is a website that I am not finding that directs one through this process, a link to that would also work :)

Mikal K.

mikalkrall
12-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Through a great deal of trial and error, and trial and success, as well as a couple of commands I found on a previous forum, I managed to finally make it into the installer and have successfully reformatted the hard drive in the "ext3" format and have begun installation of Knoppix. Hopefully within the hour I will have a bootable, if not working, Knoppix system. :D

Mikal K.

LB@Makaha
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Aloha !

I downloaded Knoppix V3.6 and trying to get it running from image file BC no cd burner here at present !

would like to hdd install on it's own partition, but need sw that can install EXT3 partition from win98, i think ??

Mahalo !

lb

pi8ch
12-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Well...

I started with SuSE Linux... My last version was 8.2..... In the end I was realy angry with the SuSE-crap. The Package manager was somehow broken, and there was no practial way to update the system....

I wanted to have Debian, but I didn't want to spend much time for setting it up. So I tried Knoppix and downloaded 3.6.... The cool thing was that I could play with the settings until everything worked as I wanted - then I made the HDD install what was even more easy than isntalling Windows. :D

With the full power oft apt (even if you must eb carefull with the unstable packages) I'm running a nice Linux system now, I realy like.