PDA

View Full Version : mplayer

xyz
03-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Hello
Is it possible to add mplayer to Knoppix distribution? I think this is the best player nowedays. Adding it to the distribution will extend multimedia capability of Knoppix.

Fabianx
03-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Adding it will most probably not possible, because of:

* too much space for mplayer & libraries dependencies needed
* mplayer has no official debian packet
* mplayer is not really "free"

Don't missunderstood me, I'm an mplayer fan, but knoppix is redistributable and shall remain it.

But I'm working on a solution to add mplayer on-the-fly from the internet/directory, while knoppix is running ...

And I for myself have succeeded in doing so ...

cu

Fabian

Viro
03-29-2003, 10:59 PM
I think Xine works just as well as MPlayer, although its not as pretty. One thing that could be done if there was space would be to include the w32codecs. But that probably wouldn't fit onto the CD.

xyz
03-30-2003, 06:45 PM
As far as I know mlayer is free. See http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design5/info.html ("License
MPlayer can be distributed under the GPL v2 license. ") If you include only one output plugin (for example oss X11/XV) and libac codecs + ffmpeg (without wincodesc) approximately mplayer take 1 MB space. It dosn't take lots of space even if you include some extra features.
And I don't understand why "no official release for debian" is problem?

arkaine23
08-17-2003, 05:18 PM
You can get an unofficial .deb or compile from source on a remaster of knoppix. I think Fabianx also made an install-on-demand-to-ramdisk script.

One way to make more space on the live CD is to remove openoffice 1.0.3 and replace it with openoffice 1.1. That save me about 30mb on the size of my iso, even having added mpalyer and its libs...

aay
08-18-2003, 05:45 PM
You can get an unofficial .deb or compile from source on a remaster of knoppix. I think Fabianx also made an install-on-demand-to-ramdisk script.

One way to make more space on the live CD is to remove openoffice 1.0.3 and replace it with openoffice 1.1. That save me about 30mb on the size of my iso, even having added mpalyer and its libs...

Wow I didn't realize that there was this much of a difference in size. Hopefully when Klaus updates we will be able to add a lot of other programs to Knoppix.

Henk Poley
08-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Wow I didn't realize that there was this much of a difference in size. Hopefully when Klaus updates we will be able to add a lot of other programs to Knoppix.
I guess because this OOo 1.1 install is not dual-language like the one from vanilla Knoppix...

True?

aay
08-20-2003, 03:06 PM
I guess because this OOo 1.1 install is not dual-language like the one from vanilla Knoppix...

True?

Good point. That may explain it.

Breetai
08-21-2003, 08:26 PM
If you are remastering Knoppix you can add mplayer by adding the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.lst

# mplayer
deb http://marilant.free.fr/ testing main

then perform an apt-get update

then perform

apt-cache search mplayer

This will list mplayer components that are available for install. Then you can apt-get install[/b/ them.

fingers99
08-24-2003, 05:03 AM
I get a 404..........

Breetai
08-25-2003, 06:41 AM
When do you get the 404 error?

When doing the apt-get update

Or when doing the apt-cache search mplayer

or when doing the actual apt-get install ?

spurious
09-07-2003, 03:14 AM
It's a typo ...

the correct source is marillat.free.fr

nbd
09-28-2003, 09:19 PM
deb http://debian.kcore.org ./

seems to have one too, according to www.apt-get.org.

Btw, the search did not find marillat, previously it was listed in apt-get.org

Stephen
09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Btw, the search did not find marillat, previously it was listed in apt-get.org

It is the fourth source listed on this [url=http://www.apt-get.org/main/]page[url] at the site.