PDA

View Full Version : Backup, Restore and Disaster Recovery

Jansch
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to Knoppix, in fact, I'm a newbie to Linux. I heard a lot of it and this morning I've "cooking" my first Knoppix CD.

I did this, because I'm a little disappointed by the sh* of M$ (understatement of the year). :evil: Previous I've tried to use Win-PE, but this is very primitive..... :cry:

What I want is a bootable-cd with an (mini) OS and it has to be able to do the following:
- Network support
- Access to tapedevice
- Read Backup Exec formats (Veritas)

Can this be accomplihed by using Knoppix? I'm afraid it's not possible because I think tape-devices can not be accessed by Knoppix. Or am i missing something here. :roll:

Hope anyone knows
Grx.
Jansch

baldyeti
11-23-2004, 02:26 PM
SCSI tape devices hooked to an adapter supported by the linux kernel certainly can be used. Look for the /dev/stN device nodes. Does the software you mention have a native linux version?

Jansch
11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
hmmm,

i've been reading the fm.
it seems that this software only can run on a windowx box, but it can backup and restore linux/unix boxes.

Nevertheless,
the software is by Veritas, the makers of NTbackup of miccyshit. Is there any Linux software that can read NTBackup backups?

frank2
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
hmmm,

i've been reading the fm.
it seems that this software only can run on a windowx box, but it can backup and restore linux/unix boxes.

Nevertheless,
the software is by Veritas, the makers of NTbackup of miccyshit. Is there any Linux software that can read NTBackup backups?

:?:

Hello Jansch,

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Backup Exec is only available for the Windows and Netware platform. NTBackup is a simple implementation from Veritas bundled with Windows Server/Professional. The formats should be compatible, maybe there are some compression issues IIRC.

A different product from Vertas is the (very expensive) NetBackup with support also for the Linux platform.

Both products have advanced options like open file backup, Mail- and DB-agents and desaster recovery (e.g. create a bootable CD-ROM with network and tape support to restore the backup-server himself or a server over the net). They all cost.

What has this to do with Knoppix? If you have a broken Windows maschine I suggest to fix it an restore data with the same program used for backup (if repair not possible, reinstall).