PDA

View Full Version : SATA Raid detected, but disks show up twice

frank2
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Hello Board,
first of all I have read the sticky one above and searched for a while... now I stuck. Consider me as a Linux newbie (also I have some experience with Suse 7.x and squid.conf)

I own a PC based on the Asus Board P4C800 Deluxe with a onboard Promise 20378 RAID controller and two 160 GB SATA disks configured as a mirror (Raid 1). No other internal disks, but 250 GB on external USB-disk for backup.

The PC has Win XP Prof. installed and two NTFS partitions on the Raid volume. BTW: Windows setup is also a problem (unknown controller, 3rd party disk needed, have no disk drive anymore). But with Win I have much more experience and can handle this.

Since Knoppix 3.6 my Raid-volume is detected when booting and I can mount both NTFS partitions (dev/sda1 and dev/sda2). Great so far!

Then I see a second, identical set as sdb1 and sdb2. This seems to be the physical view of the disks, not the mirror-set. I am pretty sure that I will break my mirror if I try to write on any of the mentioned partitions.

My goal is to use Knoppix for a backup of the entire windows boot partition (to the external USB disk). At this point I assume that I can do a full backup with dd but will not be able to restore it very well.

On asus.com there are Linux drivers for the Promise 20378. From here I need some help:

1) I have no floppy disk drive, so I must integrate the drivers on the CD somehow

1) the drivers are for Suse 8.x and Redhat (uni processor/smp resp. HT)
Which one to choose?

C:.
├───RHSMPV1.00.0.13
├───RHUPV1.00.0.13
└───SuSE8xV1.00.0.13
└───linux
└───suse
├───i386-8.0
│ ├───install
│ └───modules
└───i386-8.1
├───install
└───modules

frank2
11-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Extract: Can I use Suse/RH Raid-driver with Knoppix? If so - which one to choose and maybe a hint how to burn them with the CD.

Sorry if the description was to long, I tried to make it searchable for people with same config.