PDA

View Full Version : problems using/installing usb adsl modem

duayen99
11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
hi,

i'm very new to linux. i downloaded knoppix3.6 two days ago. i booted the livecd everything is good but i cannot connect to internet...

i am using pikatel usb adsl modem (globespanvirata). it works in other os (which i'm bored of rebooting). knoppix identifies in usb devices but the modem does not work.

probono said "I know that Kanotix (a Knoppix-like live CD) has good support for usb adsl modems. Perhaps you might want to check that out."

and i downloaded the kanotix liveCD, booted, my modem still does not work. is there anything else i can do now.

i'd like to use linux but at the same time i want to connect to the net.
i have scanned this entire forum. please somebody help.

thanks a lot...

duayen99
11-28-2004, 04:47 PM
i could not solve the problem. i decided to change the adsl modem. is there anybody to help me decide which modem to buy? please i want to use linux!

duayen99

weedje
12-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Do you have windows installed on your system?

I have Windows XP next to this linux knoppix hd install, for me at least in Windows XP I have to do the following:
start -> run -> command, in the dos window I type "ipconfig /release" and it will release my current connection from Windows XP,

I found out I had to do this when Knoppix would not connect to the internet, it has to be done everytime before you close Windows XP, maybe you can try the same... it works for me...

weedje