PDA

View Full Version : WinAxe+. XDCMP & Remote KDE Desktop

rec9140
03-30-2003, 03:02 AM
I know there is one more step I need to enable to get Knoppix to allow me to remote my KDE destop using WinAxe+ & XDCMP.

I edited /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc to have XDCMP enabaled/true.

I saw that Debian thus Knoppix has another little item that needs to be enabled, and seen a post here, some where here about it. I thougth I had it saved to a text file, but couldn't find it and have searched the board to no avail to relocate it. :!: :roll: :evil:

Any one remember this thread and/or the setting, or even how they got WinAxe+ to work.

Goal is to use WinAxe as a "software" KVM till I fully transistion to Linux.

Thanks!

RockMumbles
03-30-2003, 05:59 AM
look at this:
http://linux-sxs.org/remotexkdm.html

first if you are running from cd you'll have to start your knoppix X-application server in runlevel 2 using: knoppix 2 then you'll have to set password(s) for your user(s) then you'll have to edit two files, Xaccess and kdmrc both files are in the /etc/kde3/kdm directory.

First thing is to copy the files into /ramdisk then remove the links in /etc/kde3/kdm.

Then for Xaccess you'll need to edit it so the line below is uncommented like this:
(snip)...
* #any host can get a login window
(snip)...

for kderc you'll need to edit the line below [xdmrc] so it is changed from false to true like this:
(snip)...
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
(snip)...

then you'll need to link the newly edited files to their proper places like this:
ln -s /ramdisk/Xaccess /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess
ln -s /ramdisk/kdmrc /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
then one last step, starting kdm:
/etc/init.d/kdm start

then login and enjoy, if you are running a hd install you won't need to worry about copying and linking the files, and once you get the files edited and running you can make your system startup using kdm by making a link in /etc/rc5.d to kdm like this:

ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm /etc/rc5.d/S99kdm

HTH

rock

rec9140
03-30-2003, 07:53 PM
look at this:
Then for Xaccess you'll need to edit it so the line below is uncommented like this:
(snip)...
(snip)...

OK, that looks to be one of the settings I missed.

for kderc you'll need to edit the line below [xdmrc] so it is changed from false to true like this:
(snip)...
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
(snip)...

Thats what I did based on the WinAxe tutorial.

then login and enjoy, if you are running a hd install you won't need to worry about copying and linking the files, and once you get the files edited and running you can make your system startup using kdm by making a link in /etc/rc5.d to kdm like this:

[/edit]

This is a HD installed Knoppix of 1/20/03.

As one new to linux, I think I am missing a key understanding of this process.

KDM is a SEPARATE deamon/service that needs to be run in addition to any normal part of X systems like KDE etc...?

And is DIFFERENT than the standard graphical login that starts up ??

I don't realy want to screw this up, since I have things working quite nicely as a stand alone system.

Goal:

1) Local logins at the keyboard for KDE
2) Remote logins via LAN for KDE, sort of a "software" KVM
3) SSH LAN logins (This I have working fine, I just need to add/edit the start files to start this every time. . . I can have SSH & KDM active? Correct?

Thanks!

RockMumbles
03-30-2003, 11:50 PM
One thing I forgot on your hd install:

kdm will have to be started up at bootup, that's what the link in /etc/rc5.d does, but if you make the link and leave everything else alone you cannot get into X at all, so you must also do this as root:

chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xsession

this makes the stock auto-login to kde for user knoppix non-functional, so that when you boot up the computer you will always get the kdm login screen, then you will be able to login locally, or through your network. You will also have the choice of which desktop environment or window manager you wish to run. If you are getting a login window with user knoppix and root shown, etc. then kdm is already running, but may need to be restarted (or reboot).

ssh will still function with kdm setup, kdm is for non-secure remote X logins, and ssh is for secure console logins (you can use ssh for secure X logins but I'm not going to go there, it's beyond my understanding)
To have ssh started up at boot again make a link in /etc/rc5.d to /etc/init.d/ssh like this (as root):

ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20ssh

HTH

rock

rec9140
03-31-2003, 06:26 AM
One thing I forgot on your hd install:

kdm will have to be started up at bootup, that's what the link in /etc/rc5.d does, but if you make the link and leave everything else alone you cannot get into X at all, so you must also do this as root:

chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xsession

This applies to the below section too as well? ? ? From below KDM is already running, I have a choice of users root, etc. knoppix user is not logged in automatically or even really used.

this makes the stock auto-login to kde for user knoppix non-functional, so that when you boot up the computer you will always get the kdm login screen, then you will be able to login locally, or through your network. You will also have the choice of which desktop environment or window manager you wish to run. If you are getting a login window with user knoppix and root shown, etc. then kdm is already running, but may need to be restarted (or reboot).

Looks as though KDM is already running then, as I have several user chooses root, knoppix, and the user I created & use. I think that was what confusing me, I wrongly associated KDM as part of KDE.[/quote]

ssh will still function with kdm setup, kdm is for non-secure remote X logins, and ssh is for secure console logins (you can use ssh for secure X logins but I'm not going to go there, it's beyond my understanding)

SSH w/Remoted X is beyond me too, at this point anyway. Eventually I'll get to that.

I was happy when I got SSH to work remotely.

To have ssh started up at boot again make a link in /etc/rc5.d to /etc/init.d/ssh like this (as root):

ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20ssh

From running the SystemVEditor under KDE I seen that sshd was not being loaded for runlevel 5 and was going to add it that way. I take it that the editor adds the link above. Good to know the actuall info too.

Thanks for ALL THE TIPS.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-25-2003, 06:50 PM
first if you are running from cd you'll have to start your knoppix X-application server in runlevel 2 using: knoppix 2 then you'll have to set password(s) for your user(s) then you'll have to edit two files, Xaccess and kdmrc both files are in the /etc/kde3/kdm directory.

First thing is to copy the files into /ramdisk then remove the links in /etc/kde3/kdm.

(snip)...
(snip)...

(snip)...
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
(snip)...

then you'll need to link the newly edited files to their proper places like this:
ln -s /ramdisk/Xaccess /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess
ln -s /ramdisk/kdmrc /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
then one last step, starting kdm:
/etc/init.d/kdm start

Does all the above apply to the server? What do I do on the client side?

A. Jorge Garcia
11-18-2003, 10:01 PM
OK, Rock, I did everything you say to do above to my server. Now on the client I removed S99kdm from /etc/rc3.d and set my runlevel to 3 in inittab.

So the client boots to a text-based login screen. I then login as one of the users defined on the client PC. Then on the command line I issue X -query 10.10.2.5 but all I get is a grey X screen and nothing else happens.

All I can do is move the mouse around! What gives here?

Please help!

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
12-11-2003, 03:11 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, gentlemen! Finally, I got this mess to work. I did as Doug suggested. I think that after all the mods I made on the clients and server hdds, I must have screwed-up xhost.

Steps that worked:
(1)Server: I installed my server with knoppix-installer as Debian, addusers, and made all the server modifications listed in the links above. I then ran xhost +eachclientip but I found that adding the ips to /etc/hosts on the server works best!

(2)Client: Then I have my clients boot the knoppix cd with the boot string: knoppix 2. Then my clients run X -broadcast (I did not need :1) or X -query 10.10.2.5. And all is finally as it should be in the Land of Linux!

Minor problems left to resolve:
(1)Client: What I need to do is have my knoppix-installer as knoppix clients boot up to runlevel 2 so I don't need to burn so many cds....

(2)Server: The clients and the server resolution are both 800x600 only. If I boot the CD with the boot string: vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 which used to work, I get a video modes on server and client mismatch error. I need to figure out how to get my i810 intel video onboard chip to give me its other mode, namely 1024x768 on the server. I got this res on the clients (when using ssh and fish instead of X -query) by booting a CD with the given boot string and copying the XF86Config-4 file from the ramdisk to my hdinstall. However, this only worked on knoppix-installer as knoppix, not knoppix-installer as debian. I had to knoppix-installer as debian my server to addusers and get the login window for my users....

Thanx,

SiBaal
02-10-2004, 12:33 AM
OMFG, I'm so agressive now.

Since at least a week I'm trying to have a remote x access to my knoppix box. I know there are plenty of threads in this forum about this topic but i can't get xdmcp to work.

I've googled and searched and I've modified xaccess and kdmrc.

I've uncommented the following

Xaccess

kdmrc

[Xdmcp]
# Whether KDM should listen to XDMCP requests. Default is true.
Enable=true
# The UDP port KDM should listen on for XDMCP requests. Don't change the 177.
Port=177

In the port line i'm not sure about that, one howto tells yes others don't even mention.

So there is my confusion... since i'm also not sure how to connect (cygwin, xwin32, winaXe, exceed), the last thing i did now was a portscann.

Et voilá, ports 21,22,80,111(don't know that one sunRPC),443,3306 and 10000 open.

All right now there seems to be the problem, no xdmcp port open. so i'm finished with finding problems.

Can you help me finding some solutions? Are my conclusions/ideas right? I have to say i'm a noob. But i'm trying hard and I wouldn't bother you if there'd be an other way, but neither can I spend more time searching nor can I spend more money on dialup connections...

Oh cool I'm not aggressive any more... *g*

BTW.: I have the same problem with the grey window and the mouse as you have had, A. Jorge Garcia. I don't know how you solved it or if the problem aplies to me... Or did i not see the solution and it's written here? I have to say that my brain is a little bit blocked now.

rec9140
02-10-2004, 06:48 AM
OMFG, I'm so agressive now.

Since at least a week I'm trying to have a remote x access to my knoppix box. I know there are plenty of threads in this forum about this topic but i can't get xdmcp to work.

Since you posted in this thread about WinAxe, look at

http://www.winaxe.com/tutorials/second/index.html

Using the this tutorial and the other info at the WinAXE site I have been able to use the demo available for a 31 min login to my Knoppix box. A full license is a little pricey $100.00.

The winaxe site had all the info I needed to set this up.

SiBaal
02-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Thx, i don't know why but this solved the main part of the problem indirectly. First of all i disabled port=177 in kdmrc and than i did all the things you should do with winaXe.

then i disabled my firewall (just in case, i thought) and tried to connect.

It didn't do anything, so i did something else, but when i was back the login screen was there together with a little winxp information bubble proclaiming that kerio personal firewall driver had an buffer overflow (8293 of 8194 or so) and that the application have been shut down. It came back now and then but now it is working.

The error is reproduceable, although it seem to happen not systematically. I have to do what i did to get winaXe to work, but i can't say how long until the buffer overflow and before nothing will happen.

After the buffer overflow, cygwin also works(most of the time), but not in any case before.

Seems to be that i have to look for a new pfirewall, or find a different sollution

garyng
02-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Why Winaxe and not cygwin/X ? It is free and pretty easy to use.

BTW, whatever X-workstation you use on Windows, disable the personal firewall if you want to do 'X -broadcast'. If 'X -query <ip>' is fine for you, just open the 177 UDP/TCP port on the PC. After doing this, I can run all those applications on my Xbox through cygwin/X on my PC.

SiBaal
02-13-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm using winaXe just to start with something... cygwin will replace it when it runs good.

I've disabled the firewall and it's (the driver) still getting an buffer owerflow though i can find any firewall process runnig too...

It seems like my firewall installed a new virtual hardware driver to filter all the packets and its modified, so it crashes sometimes when the firewall engine is offline..

No idea, but I will move now to a new room with access to the internetline of my university, so will not work on this project until march...

cu till then