PDA

View Full Version : Recovery CD help

McMahon
11-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Hello is there a document which can help me set up a recovery cd so that I can help my friends etc to get data off there Hard drives and save to a USB Hard drive using FAT32 and NTFS systems??? sometimes I can't open these systems as they are under warranty so my USB drive would be great (I'm using Knoppix 3.6)

I am a complete beginner to linux and although fasicanted I don't have time to research propely, Is there a complete beginners guide to linux (paper Book) and is there a reference book to all error messages? (I would like to see all error messages have a 'serial number' (which would include system details to help solve the causes of problems) perhaps a database of the error serial numbers could be stored in a database???? and if new they could solved then saved to database so the next guy doe'nt have the same 'detective work'??? how about it??

OErjan
11-25-2004, 05:31 PM
well, if you use fat32 on that usbdrive it is easy, just mount the drive,
rightclick the icon, chosw mount then rightclick again and chose it to be remounted read/write.
now just open konqueror and copy the files from their disk/disks to your.
or burn CD's/DVD's with K3B.
Harry Kuhman even got a derivative of knoppix (only 50Mb in size) to burn to its own CD, read more here
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14781&start=0

McMahon
11-26-2004, 01:56 AM
Thank you for reply. does this work with NTFS? or can NTFS be changed to FAT32? like how FAT16 could be converted to FAT32 in windows 95??

How about my Database of serial numbered error messages?? If everyone downloaded it the updates would be small and coule be configured so that you only download the Error messages that apply to your system E.G intel cpu with via chipsets or whatever but you would have to download another set of serial numbers for another chipset so that somewhere on the web somebody is online with the answer!!!!??

firebyrd10
11-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Fat32 can be changed to ntfs, but I don't think it works that other way around.

You'd really have to reformat.

McMahon
11-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Thank you