PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use Knoppix With MS Windows??

elbarto
11-25-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm a major newbie at Linux, and I am wondering if I can use my boot CD of Knoppix as a sort-of demo even with windows installed. What im aking is if I can boot knoppix from my cd and be assured that when I take it out MS windows will start up correctly. Ive got a brother who will kill me if anything happens to Windows.

adeane
11-25-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm new also. I downloaded the knoppix image, burned my cd and gave it a whirl. It works great, love it, and when my wife wants on windoze works fine (for windows). :wink:

OErjan
11-25-2004, 05:35 PM
have had some weird things happen (all caused by me, not knoppix) but only heard of 3 reported problems with win after knoppix.
those where maximum bad luck, as long as you do not mount or write to disk there should be no trouble. i have used it on LOTS of systems and no malfunction this far.

firebyrd10
11-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Basicly, yes your safe.

Harry Kuhman
11-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Also, you're safe.

sunpascal
11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
sure you can.

it will even be hard to change anything on your windows if you ware
running the live cd.

There is absulutely no risk, if you don't install it. And even if you do,
it works fine on my PC with both knoppix and windows.

andrei
11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
of course you can. You just need to stick Knoppix in your CD drive and boot off that disk. Knoppix will load itself into memory without even touching your disks. You even will be able to see your brother's disk contents. As long as you do not change the so-called "permissions" (make the disks not only readable, but writable also) there is no risk whatsoever for your brother's stuff.

Get the book Knoppix Hacks - its worth every penny and it explains it all very well. You sould also take a look at the beginner's documentation on this site.

Enjoy!