PDA

View Full Version : lexmark printer

pfmrof
03-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Just opened the program and it all seems pretty straightforward.
Had no trouble configuring the dial up modem, but the printer won't work.
I went through the add printer program, found the lexmark 1100, but it will not print the test page, or anything else. I checked the search on this forum but did not find the answer there.
The only thing I can see is there is no location listed in the property tab for the printer.
As I'm new to Linux I could use some help.
It took me a while to figure out I could use the cheat codes at boot up to get my monitor to work as I was getting an out of range message,and it was shutting down. Took a week to figure that one out.
Hope to get a solution.

rickenbacherus
03-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Linux & Lexmark have a history of not getting along very well. For some reason certain corporations refuse to make any effort what so ever to work with Linux. In fact, certain corporations won't even release enough info to allow the construction of a proper driver. Other corporations however HP & Epson for example have made a very big effort toward not only working with Linux but building drivers as well. This is not to say that your Lexmark printer will not work as it may very well work just fine. A Lexmark printer is what's know as a "winprinter" or more accurately "wimprinter". :lol: It might be easy to set it up and make it work, but I doubt it. :cool:

Everything you never knew you wanted to know about Linux printing is here:http://www.linuxprinting.org/

pfmrof
03-31-2003, 02:53 AM
I just checked the Linux printer site and it said pretty much what you had.
I'm not too surprised as I have tried Redhat and Mandrake to see what Linux was all about. I can't remember which one, but the printer did work on one but not the other. Must be having a senior moment!
I will still be using Knoppix as a learning tool, being as it is so easy to use, no partitioning or losing anything on my hard drive when I use it.
Thanks for the reply and the link.