PDA

View Full Version : Updating Menus in Knoppix 3.4?

raid517
11-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi I have installed Knopix to my hard disk (Knoppix-Myth). Basically it's knoppix but with MythTV already installed.

Anyway I installed KDE and a few other things and so far everything looks good.

The problem is that the version of Knoppix I have isn't properly updating my menus in KDE for applications I install. Does anybody know of a working script anywhere that will automatically update my menus after every boot? It seems like it should be a simple thing to do. I mean all it needs to do is to use whatever the file it is that tells apt-get what files are installed and under what catagories and update the existing menu catagories accordingly. How hard can it be?

GJ

Edit: I found a file called update-menus-kde.tar.gz here (http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/CeBit/) - but it was for KDE 3.2. Anyway it didn't seem to work too well as it quit with a bunch of errors. The ouput of running the script is as follows:

root@box1:/home/raid517/update-menus-kde/update-menus-kde# ./update-menus-knoppix
./update-menus-knoppix: line 18: update-menus: command not found
./update-menus-knoppix: line 93: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps: No such file or directory
./update-menus-knoppix: line 94: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs: No such file or directory
./update-menus-knoppix: line 95: /etc/menu-methods/kdelibs-bin: No such file ordirectory
cat: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No such file or directory
./update-menus-knoppix: line 124: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
./update-menus-knoppix: line 124: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No existe el fichero o el directorio
Can't open /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No existe el fichero o el directorio.
root@box1:/home/raid517/update-menus-kde/update-menus-kde#

Is there any way to fix this? Like I said it would be very nice to have a script that would automatically update my menus after every reboot. But I have no clue how to achieve this.

mzilikazi
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
man update-menus
update-menus - generate Debian menu system

Issue it as user not root.

raid517
11-28-2004, 04:04 AM
I issued both of those commands (literally) but all I got were error messages saying "command not found".

GJ

mzilikazi
11-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Sorry if my post was confusing. The command is update-menus.

raid517
11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
This isn't making much sense at all, sorry... I issued the commands like you suggested and the output is as follws:

:~$ update-menus
bash: update-menus: command not found
raid517@box1:~$ man update-menus
No manual entry for update-menus
raid517@box1:~$ update-menus - generate Debian menu system
bash: update-menus: command not found
raid517@box1:~$

That second line certainly isn't a Linux command.

I tried just doing update-menus - but I got a similar output.

What gives?

GJ

mzilikazi
11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
update-menus most certainly is a Linux command. Why it doesn't work on your machine I have no idea.

man update-menus (http://server1.belchfire.net/protected-cgi-bin/manServer_107.pl/update-menus.1)

$ which update-menus
/usr/bin/update-menus