PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing Nvidia display driver

weedje
11-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Hello, I was wondering, why isn't it just as easy to install a nvidia display driver like in the live cd mode? I just installed knoppix on my hardrive but I can't figure out how to install the nvidia driver manually :( I need to shutdown X server but I'm afraid I cant get it back to run linux normally...

Can anybody guide me?

Thanks in advance...

firebyrd10
11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
When you get the option to log it, select log in by command line (or something to that extent)

Then change to a differnt runlevel (ctrl-alt-F#)

and try from there.

mzilikazi
11-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know how to install the nvidia driver on a Knoppix hdd install. I do know however that Kanotix (http://kanotix.com/info/index.php) makes a great Debian SID installation and to install the nvidia driver (whichever version you want) you simply do this:

CATL+ALT+F1
install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh
install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh

That's it! The scripts will download and patch the kernel source for your kernel, download the nvidia driver, build it and restart X for you.

eco2geek
11-27-2004, 12:35 AM
I was wondering about that -- has anyone used (or modified, then used) Kano's script in order to install the nvidia driver on a Knoppix hard disk install?

weedje
11-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi again, thanks for helping me guys,

mzilikazi gave a good hint, with that I went on investigation and this is how I installed the nvidia driver,

go to kano.mipooh.net download the driver you want, download it into your home directory for me that is /home/John

after it's done downloading press ctrl+alt+f1

you will find yourself in the console and type su to become root, input your password

then type:
cd /home/John

sh install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh

it will automatiscly shutdown X install the driver and restart X again, voila, driver installed,

weedje