PDA

View Full Version : Internet connectivity

mpeden
11-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Knoppix from the CD connects to internet no problem.
Knoppix from HD install won't (can't) connect to internet. I switched from Mandrake because I could not get it to connect to internet either and was told how easy Knoppix is. Please make it so. I'm connected via Linksys router with 3 XP boxes working fine.

Help please

CrashedAgain
11-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Knoppix from HD install won't (can't) connect to internet. I switched from Mandrake because I could not get it to connect to internet either and was told how easy Knoppix is. Please make it so. I'm connected via Linksys router with 3 XP boxes working fine.

Help please

If it connects when running from CD it should also be workable under HD install, try the Network card configuration tool under the 'Knoppix->Network/Internet' menu item. What type of install did you do: Debian, Knoppix or beginner style ?

grant_vallance
11-29-2004, 11:17 AM

Help please

Actually, Knoppix is known to have some issues with HD installation; indeed it was specifically designed as a live CD, although others have tried to smooth out the HD installation process.

But if you want a nice and easy HD install from a Live-CD try either Kanotix or MEPIS. These have been recommended on this forum, which is how I discovered them.

While I have never got Kanotix to work as a live CD it has a solid reputation -- I just have not had the time to chase down what is causing kernel panic at boot. MEPIS I can vouch for. Its excellent.

It has a painless HD install. I have done it, and if I can, anyone can. I have gotten wireless to work -- its a very similar proceedure to Knoppix. I have even shelled out money, which shows how impressed I am. Not that its expensive -- $US 14.95 + P&P from www.simplymepis.org It also has a fantastic support community at www.mepislovers.com

While it is a commercial distro; you can get and use it for free from the ususal sources.

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance