PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Files over network

LinkZ
11-27-2004, 09:48 PM
I have got a spare machine with some files on that i want to transfer over to another machine which is running Win XP.

I have used the Knoppix live CD on the spare machine and i have setup the network/samba server so i can access the knoppix computers files through the Win XP machine.

I start the copy and paste off and after around 5 minutes the Knoppix machine will freeze and the copy will fail, so i have to reboot the machine.

Is there anything i have done causing it to crash or is it a hardware problem?

Note: I'm quite a newbie to linux so be kind :P

firebyrd10
11-28-2004, 12:27 AM
How bout try the other way around? Sending the files from the knoppix machine.

CrashedAgain
11-29-2004, 03:59 AM
.....I start the copy and paste off and after around 5 minutes the Knoppix machine will freeze and the copy will fail, so i have to reboot the machine.

It sounds like apm (auto power management) is shutting down the Knoppix box. Try booting with the 'noapm' cheatcode. If you are installed to HD, edit the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf to add 'noapm' then rerun lilo (command 'lilo') to implement the changes. Both the edit and the command must be done as root.

LinkZ
11-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys but it seems like it was a hardware issue. The hard drive died earlier when trying firebyrd's advise.