PDA

View Full Version : 120GB HDD install??

manjo
03-30-2003, 09:23 AM
I have 3 part question.

1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.

2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time? The knx-hdinstall does not give me a choice.

3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?

Thanks a ton in advance.

rickenbacherus
03-30-2003, 08:23 PM
I have 3 part question.

1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.

Sounds like you chose not to install LILO to MBR. Boot with the floppy - edit LILO to point to the correct partition (of course you'll need to add XP in there too). and then re-run LILO /sbin/lilo

2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time?

You can't

3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?

with a partitioning program. I prefer cfdisk.

manjo
03-31-2003, 12:19 AM
when I do a hdd install of knoppix, at the end it fails writing lilo to MBR. I tried editing lillo.conf and rerunnig lilo, still same result. Seems like knoppix cannot handle hdd of size 120GB.