PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulations...

Cuddles
11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
I did an apt-get install of flightgear - first of all, its a HUGE download, somewhere in the size of 3/4 GB, and after installing, it runs...

It may be my system, but it runs slow, and I've got a 1.4 GHz AMD, with a 8x NVidia card - but, I think the "game" itself, is comparable to what M$ is shipping under the name "Flight Simulator". The controls would probably be "excellent" if I had a "flight" input device, but using the mouse wasnt that difficult. I managed to taxi to runway, lift-off, and then crash into the ocean. ( with a few "straight up" climbs, resulting in engine stalls. ) I havent figured out where you can set environments, locations, and times at... So, I was "who-knows-where" and in the dark, and I think the plane was a cessna, "prop-job". I tend to do a apt-cache search for action, or arcade games, at least once a week, to see if anything is new, or excitting out in the world, and this was my first attempt at "simulations" - Sometimes, you just got to get in a plane, and crash a few times :D

The cockpit "looks", to my "untrained eye", to be quite authentic, lots of dials, controls, switches, levels, etc... and the "HUD" ( Heads Up Display ) looked good. Now, if I can find out where the "settings" are, maybe a nice LearJet, or something on the "edge", like a "sound-breaker" plane, is next to be in line ??? Nothing more fun than to fly faster than the speed of sound, and then crash [giggle] - ( warning - bad 9/11 thought follows ) Maybe I can load a scenery of N.Y. and go after the twin towers, or something ?

Anyone have any good flight simulator games that they have tried - maybe something a little less "authentic" and a little more "foregiving" of a newbie Aeronatical clutz ??? [giggle]

firebyrd10
11-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Wow, sounds neat.

Have tried going to the website, the usually have some sort of manual for serious games like that.

chris-harry
12-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Anyone have any good flight simulator games that they have tried - maybe something a little less "authentic" and a little more "foregiving" of a newbie Aeronatical clutz ??? [giggle] where you can shoot down other planes, blow up buildings, do a gta in mid air... mwahahahaha, its sound like just the practice i need to do my EVIL things... mwahahahahaha

CrashedAgain
12-06-2004, 06:04 AM
I tried to get flightgear to go with both Knoppix 3.4 & Kanotix BH9 but I get a 'segmentation fault' with both.

Anyone got a solution?

Cuddles
12-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I tried to get flightgear to go with both Knoppix 3.4 & Kanotix BH9 but I get a 'segmentation fault' with both.

Anyone got a solution?

Not sure about this, CrashedAgain, but, did you also install the xxxx-music package as well, it is optional ? I installed the flightgear game, its xxxxx-data, and the xxxxxx-music -=- again, not sure, but maybe the music isnt actually optional if it makes calls to the "music" when it isnt there ( i.e. the -music is marked as "optional" but in the program it may not be ? ) -=- Just a guess

chris-harry
12-08-2004, 04:28 AM
and then you fix the game. AND THEN YOu PLAY IT LIKE THERE IS NO TOMMOROW!!!!

made2000
12-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Im new to knoppix how do I install the game. do i just download and run sorry not sure how it goes running a os off a cd
do I need to install knoppix on my hdd

Cuddles
12-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Im new to knoppix how do I install the game. do i just download and run sorry not sure how it goes running a os off a cd

Made2000,

I am not sure if "flightgear" can be run off the CD, I have a HDD install, if you want to run "anything" off the Live CD, you want to use klik ( thats KLIK in lowercase ). Never installed programs, actually called "packages" in Debian / Knoppix running off the CD, but, from what I know about it, the klik program lets "some" packages install into a "persistant home" location, instead of where they usually install when you have hard drive installed Knoppix. I am not even sure "how" you go about finding out if a program ( package ) is able to be gotten with kilk. This might be a subject to bring up in the "Klik Forum" - as for installing packages, when you have installed the OS, as in a hard drive install, you would use apt. The process to install a package after you have hard drive installed Knoppix would be as follows: apt-get update - and then apt-get install something, or in the case of "flightgear" you would use apt-get install flightgear -=- but this only works if you have hard drive installed. The process of installing a package when you are running off the CD, uses the process of klik to accomplish the install of the package, and I dont know how to do that....

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

firebyrd10
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM

YOu can try downloading the source and installing from there, you can change the install directory to your home (do ./confiure --help to see how)
Just be sure to have neough space.

chris-harry
12-09-2004, 04:25 AM
i recond it would be easyer and a hell lot better (+ faster), if you have knoppix installed on your hard drive, and then load the game onto the hard drive, then you dont have to be limited by the speed of the cd drive... now... i need a bigger hard dive... :oops:

made2000
12-09-2004, 06:38 AM
i need a bigger hard dive
I second that I think I'll go get a 80 gig soon I can get a brand new 7200 80 gig for 80 bucks. that plus my 40 for storage.
Does anyone have a link to a good site on how to partition and install this on my HDD. I am really new. HEHE :shock:

OK sorry I found the above board on HDD installls

chris-harry
12-10-2004, 02:38 AM
hehe... yeah... its actually quiet easy to partion a hard drive... took me two minutes.... its really fun.. :D

your lucky you have a 40 gig hard drive, i have a hard drive the tenth of that... a 4 gig... :D it still works... *cough* except i have no room... :(...

made2000
12-10-2004, 04:12 AM
How and what did you use. details details.LOL :D http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/050.gif

chris-harry
12-10-2004, 04:44 AM
ok... i use an old pentium 2 @ 200MHz, thats conected to a 4.4 Gig hard drive... :D pritty small... but, it still works... it might take 10 minutes to open OpenOffice, but, it still work a great treat... and if i ever F*** it up real real badly... who cares, its an old old computer. :D just re-format and get on with my life... *strokes computer*...

CrashedAgain
12-11-2004, 05:54 AM
ok... i use an old pentium 2 @ 200MHz, thats conected to a 4.4 Gig hard drive... :D pritty small... but, it still works... it might take 10 minutes to open OpenOffice, but, it still work a great treat... and if i ever F*** it up real real badly... who cares, its an old old computer. :D just re-format and get on with my life... *strokes computer*...

For what it's worth, I have a 600 mhz laptop with only 6 Gig which is dual boot Linux (currently Kanotix) & winME. You have to be a little careful with space but it works.

Research in the 'segmentation fault' error seems to indicate it is something to do with a program trying to grab memory for video that's not allocated for video. Probably I need more video card, I have just the standard i810 that came with the computer.

chris-harry
12-11-2004, 07:05 AM
hehe... well... old computer are great for when you just wanna test something and you dont have to worry about backing things up and stuff like that that takes time and effort...

Mustang64
12-13-2004, 11:26 PM
It’s amazing just how small Knoppix, or any Linux based system, can get and still work! I have a copy of Peanut that I use on a 386 25MHz computer and two 100 M drives. Also with less than 200 M RAM.

Windoze won’t even load, let alone work, unless you go back to version 3.xx (aw-yes those were the days when software developers were still working on efficient, compact programs without all the fluff, and dead-end code)…

GMD

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
It’s amazing just how small Knoppix, or any Linux based system, can get and still work! I have a copy of Peanut that I use on a 386 25MHz computer and two 100 M drives. Also with less than 200 M RAM.

Windoze won’t even load, let alone work, unless you go back to version 3.xx (aw-yes those were the days when software developers were still working on efficient, compact programs without all the fluff, and dead-end code)…

GMD
I have to differ with you there. I still have Win98 on a P166 with 64 megs of memory, it runs windows fine, but Knoppix (with GUI) crawls on it. I still get occasional use from the machine; it makes a fine FTP server running Windows. I also use it to test install some software, and as a system where I can run any self-extracting EXE file I happen to download (no way I'm going to trust such files on my main desktop).

By the way, I couldn't even get any regular distro like Debian to install on this system. They looked at the memory and just refused. But 98 (and of course 95 and Win 3.1) run fine on it, and I expect I could load OS2 or a few others systems as well.

I also have a hand me down I took from someone just to save it from the trash. It's a 100 mhz K5, with either 32 or 48 megs of memory (yea, I forget which). It's certainly not a great system, but it's good for running packet sniffers and the like under Windows. I can browse the net with it (not snappy, but functional). I have tried to boot Knoppix and a few other of the live CD's on it. But these may take 30 minutes or more just to boot, and are really not useable once you have them booted.

So Linux certainly suffers from bloat as much as any OS does. It's woth noting that, strictly based on hardware power, either of the above 2 computers is by far much more computer than the CDC system that was a time sharing system for the entire student body at my University (back in the dark ages). Bloat like this is an unfortunate industry trend that is affecting almost all of the industry, including open source.

made2000
12-14-2004, 01:43 AM
How does this compare to Microsoft flight sim 2004. I have that and I think its awsome. I dont really like *crashdows* much and microsoft even less but I have to admit This sim is greaaaat. So compare the two.

firebyrd10
12-14-2004, 05:12 AM
(aw-yes those were the days when software developers were still working on efficient, compact programs without all the fluff, and dead-end code)…

GMD

Yea, but nowadays the with humugous hardrive that are dirtcheap, is there anypoint in trying to spend extra time to make a program smaller (from a devolpers point of view.)

chris-harry
12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
:D the good old days.... when computers took up whole entire rooms... and i didnt exsist...

Doctor
12-22-2004, 12:33 AM

GMD
I have to differ with you there. I still have Win98 on a P166 with 64 megs of memory, it runs windows fine, but Knoppix (with GUI) crawls on it. I still get occasional use from the machine; it makes a fine FTP server running Windows. I also use it to test install some software, and as a system where I can run any self-extracting EXE file I happen to download (no way I'm going to trust such files on my main desktop).

By the way, I couldn't even get any regular distro like Debian to install on this system. They looked at the memory and just refused. But 98 (and of course 95 and Win 3.1) run fine on it, and I expect I could load OS2 or a few others systems as well.

I also have a hand me down I took from someone just to save it from the trash. It's a 100 mhz K5, with either 32 or 48 megs of memory (yea, I forget which). It's certainly not a great system, but it's good for running packet sniffers and the like under Windows. I can browse the net with it (not snappy, but functional). I have tried to boot Knoppix and a few other of the live CD's on it. But these may take 30 minutes or more just to boot, and are really not useable once you have them booted.

So Linux certainly suffers from bloat as much as any OS does. It's woth noting that, strictly based on hardware power, either of the above 2 computers is by far much more computer than the CDC system that was a time sharing system for the entire student body at my University (back in the dark ages). Bloat like this is an unfortunate industry trend that is affecting almost all of the industry, including open source.

He said windows wont install on a 386 25Hz, and then you said it runs fine on your pentium 166 (586)
Max ram on a 486 I know is 32, dunno about the 386's

Win95 runs slowish on my 75mhz 486, but thats okay as I hae Kernel 2.4.27 and busybox 1.00-rc2 + other stuff on a flash card for it right now

solarcontrol
02-13-2005, 05:40 PM
A moderator joking about doing practice runs on the WTC....

And, if you guys want something for really old boxes, try Deli Linux.
http://delilinux.berlios.de/

It is made for it.

Cuddles
02-20-2005, 07:13 PM
A moderator joking about doing practice runs on the WTC....

I did say it was a "bad" before I said it, and nothing saying "I'd do it", just the statement that a crash is always interesting... As for being a "moderator" and saying, or posting, something - I am a human being too -=- I can express myself as a user, or a person running Linux, just like anyone else, not my fault that "moderator" shows up when I post ( not like I can turn it off, or something )...

Would this have been a little more Pollitically Correct ????

A flight combat simulation game, and doing "straffing" runs over England, with Nazi Germany planes ????

or...

A Blimp simulation game, using hellium, and running into a tower, but, ONLY IF, you can have the carnage and flame damage from the "original" Hindenburg for "realisim" ?

Considering you dont have a location from where you are, I am quite sure, your "history" could be represented in some kind of "simulation" to re-enact something hideous, some "black" past... As the "President" stated: "this is a wake-up call"...

To be completely honest, though, I have not found any "Flight Simulations" that could have any re-enactment possibility, mostly, when they hit water, or ground, they simply "bounce" off the object, and continue as normal, or "fly through" an obstacle.

Yes, it was a joke, and I dont mean, or imply, offense to a comment on that... I just make comment to the fact that people will always be "interested" in crashes... and, I bet, you dont slow down on the freeways to see a crash go by? Dont hope to see a "glimpse" of carnage? Or watch Race Car footage, to see the "big" crashes?

If anything, flight simulations, and even the "mission" related ones, like the "Apache" helicopter ones, dont go into "details". I used to play the "old" Sleath Bomber" one by Electronic Arts, and even then, enemies were just dots on the map, you elliminated the dots, the enemies, no blood, no gore, just dots - dont think about the fact those "dots" represent people, or bunkers, or supply depots, or cities... Dont think that "some" of those dots represent "inocent bystanders", or lastly, that, you could fire on your own troups, i.e. "friendly fire"

Oh well, "life goes on"...