PDA

View Full Version : how to setup internet

sunpascal
11-29-2004, 02:51 PM
hi,

does anyone have an idea how to set up an adsl connection on knoppix?
I tried the network card configuration and adsl utility that was one the linux menu. It also gave me instructions about how to dial the adsl connection by the command line.

I tried google, but couldn't really find anything usefull.
Thanks for your help :)

jaykay
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
the set up depends on your Isp, and what sought of modem you are using. some use ppoe some ppoa and also if you are using a USB modem from your isp for connection forget it, its more trouble than its worth trying to get it up and running.

My advice would be to get yourself a router and connect it to your lan card, and away you go. it will take you about two minutes to get going and virtually every linux distro inc knoppix will recognise it at start up, no props.

Hope this helps

Post back for more info if req

jim

weedje
12-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi,

If you have adsl with a dhcp type of connection, first boot into windows and do this:
start menu -> run -> command

in the dos window type ipconfig /release

reboot and start knoppix, it should connect to the internet automaticly...

weedje

sunpascal
12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
first of all I am not sure what kind of modem I have. There is an ethernet cable going out of my pc and directly into a modem that the provider gave me. I looked on the site of the isp but they don't explain anything. On windows i just used the connection setup wizard chose direct connection to the internet using broadcast connection. I just typed in the username & password from my isp and it worked. How come that doesn't work in knoppix?

I don't get how ipconfig /release works. Does it store the configuration of windows on the hard disk? Or does it have to do with the network card? Will Knoppix do the rest by itself?

Is there a way to check weather my network card is detected by knoppix?

Pascal

weedje
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
sunpascal,

As I said, if you have dhcp you can use the ipconfig /release command,
But since that is not the case, do you require to log in using a VPN connection? I used to have adsl with a vpn connection a long time ago, back then I had installed linux to see what linux was all about, but since I could not get a VPN pptp connection to work in that time I removed linux from my system...

I don't get how ipconfig /release works.
If you have a dhcp connection and the server has assigned a ip to your network card you can simply release the connection with ipconfig /release
see here (http://www.computerhope.com/ipconfig.htm#03) for details,

Anyway... Now I got adsl with dhcp so I can't help you except link you to a few pages I found, you can experiment with those and see if you can get it to work,

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1038&highlight=pptp
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=linux+pptp+connection&btnG=Zoeken&lr=
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pppoa%20linux%20networking&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php (use these keywords: pptp or pptp vpn)

Goodluck! I hope this will help you on your way a little,

weedje

sunpascal
12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
thanks for the links, weedje.
I will look at that.
I do not have a VPN connection, though.

pascal

weedje
12-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Thats too bad, did you try the knoppix icon -> Network/Internet -> ADSL/PPPOE configuration shortcut??

weedje

sunpascal
12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
yeah, I tried that first.

shah
12-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Before you can configure your dsl connection, you need to configure your networkcard first.
Do the networkcard configuration and choose not to use dhcp.
Assign and ip:
ex:
address :192.168.0.2
netmask :255.255.255.0
network :192.168.0.0
broadcast :192.168.0.255
gateway :leave this blank
dns : what the isp assign to you; if don't know...you can use windows and run ipconfig /all....you'll see the dns at the bottom of the print out.

Then run adsl/pppoe configuration (if your isp use pppoe, some isp use pppoa)

:D :D

sunpascal
12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
It works now!
I entered cmd on my windows xp, typed ipconfig, saved the output to a file. Then I started netcardconfig on linux and typed in the ip adresses and this stuff in. And now it works!
Thanks a lot!!

I still don't get though why xp autodetects all the settings and knoppix doesn't...

donax
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
SunPascal wrote:
> It works now!
> I entered cmd on my windows xp, typed ipconfig, saved the output to a file.
> Then I started netcardconfig on linux and typed in the ip adresses and this stuff in. And now it works!

When you run netcardconfig it collects information into a file /etc/sysconfig/knoppix
and another one /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 or whatever interface we're
talking about.

These files contains the information you give to netcardconfig and then some more.
My fixed-IP localnet setup in the network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 looks like this:

---file-begin----
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.224.126
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.224.0
BROADCAST=192.168.224.255
ONBOOT=yes
----file-end-----

HOWever it is not just those files which makes your ethernetcard select the packets
for the IP-number above. The command in Microsoft is IPconfig, equivalent to Linux
(netutils) "ifconfig", if means interface here.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.220.117 would make the association between eth0 and the IP-number,
and by the way also sets up the routing table fundamentals.

> Thanks a lot!!
>
> I still don't get though why xp autodetects all the settings and knoppix doesn't...

If there is a DHCP server at your ISP end of the cable then Knoppix setup should detect it.
What the other guy writes is that your DHCP-lease is "taken" and must be released before
your Knoppix will be able to ask for a connection.

The ISP uses DHCP as kind of security measurement; it means that he can control
which machines he will be forwarding traffic for. Which is very good;-) The DHCP normally
is tied with the MAC-address. I guess other types of locks are possible, too.

That is why he suggested "ipconfig /release".

Now if the lease is given back, then Knoppix automatically will get a lease when it
boots. It always begins asking for a lease by running "pump", which is one DHCP
client. Then if you have installed a permanent IP address it will begin to configure
using that address after a little while. (I am not sure what happens with the ISP
if this "fixed" IP isn't the same as the other end expects, might differ from IPS to ISP).

Regards/Donald

Now if you try again and shut