PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad T21 hangs on suspend w/ knoppix 3.6

jcasp
11-30-2004, 01:44 PM
I recently reformatted my Thinkpad T21 and installed 3.6 to the disk. Everything works beautifully except for suspend/resume. I'm guessing this has to do with kernel 2.6 and the new ACPI support. I used to have Redhat 9 (2.4-20) and I believe that used APM rather than ACPI, as suspend/resume worked fine with that OS.

So, my questions are:
1) What should I try to get ACPI suspend working with this machine?
2) If ACPI is not an option, how can I disable it and enable APM instead?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Justin

Durand Hicks
12-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi,

I have a T21 as well, and I have found that ACPI is buggy with this laptop. Ditto for the 2.6 kernel, so I have used a custom 2.4.27 with APM with excellent results. Make sure you get the cpufreq patch (for recompling the 2.4 kernel), tpb, thinkpad-base, thinkpad source for the thinkpad modules, and tpctl for additional power savings for your laptop. If you want 3d acceleration, you'll need to compile your xfree server to xfree86-DRI from cvs. IIRC, the recent kernels compiled by Klaus are compiled with acpi so you may/will have to compile your own kernel if you want suspend/resume to work. There is a patch for acpi for ibm laptops called ibm-acpi that I just recently found about in another forum on gmane. This patch supposedly works great for 2.6 kernels and acpi, so you might want to google for the link to get more information about this.

HTH,

Durand

jcasp
12-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Durand,
Wow, thanks for all of that. I've had Linux on that T21 since the day I bought it (may 2001?) and never knew there was a set of thinkpad kernel modules available. I certainly didn't see them on any Redhat sites at the time. I'll have to wait about a week to mess with that machine again, as my wife is using it for her daily work for now. I'll be sure to add any other details that I discover that aren't covered by your post.
Justin

KanotixUser
12-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Try Kanotix BH-X, it has the new 2.6.9 Kernel with Suspend2. It works like a charm on my IBM T40.

This is the first kernel to suspend properly, as of 2.6.8 it was broken.

kn2user
12-10-2004, 04:24 PM
I look at Kanotix website. It says it needs i586 arch. I am not sure what my arch is. I have notice that Knoppix Live CD returns i686 on all three computers that I have tried the command arch on. One desktop pc is like 4 years old. The other two desktop pcs were newer than that one. What would be the arch of the 4 years old pc be? It is a pentium 2, 450mhz. I do not know what else to list. If you would have to take a guess do you think that Kanotix BH-X would work on this PC or not?

Thanks for any input that you can give me.

Harry Kuhman
12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
...What would be the arch of the 4 years old pc be? It is a pentium 2, 450mhz. I do not know what else to list. If you would have to take a guess do you think that Kanotix BH-X would work on this PC or not?....
i586 is Pentium and up, not exactly sure where they draw the line for i686, since AMD and Intel (and some other players) were all doing some different things around that time. But you are certainly i586 and maybe i686. Yes, BH-X should certainly work on that system.

kn2user
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks Harry Kuhman. I will try BH-X.

Durand Hicks
12-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Jcasp,

Here is the link to the patches for cpufreq for 2.4 kernels: ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/cpufreq/
The thinkpad-source patch was actually found on Andrea Arcangeli's kernel website on kernel.org. Once patched into the kernel you can update the the source code from the thinkpad-source package thru apt-get or aptitude. I often combine it with Con Koliva's lck patchset to get a near 2.6-like kernel sans nptl.

HTH,

Durand