PDA

View Full Version : Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?

trellis
11-30-2004, 11:40 PM
My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.

How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?

TIA

cintra
12-18-2004, 03:32 PM
My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.

How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?

TIA
A pity no one answered this post.. did you solve it anyhow?

I've just received the 3.7 CD and find that (with alsa in the boot line, and knoppix26) it selects my usb voip handset as dsp0 and the onboard intel8x0 as dsp1 - not good.

I'll ask anyhow, does anyone have a solution, other than disconnect the handset?

regards

w0lfie
01-05-2005, 04:51 AM
I don't know what BIOS you're using, but disabling worked on my computer. I think it was called "on-chip sound"
If you find any way to use both cards, that would be ideal!
good luck,
Rick

***EDIT*** To clarify: When I said it worked, I meant that soundconfig "saw" only the SB card. It was enough to get "Test Sound" to work.

rrfish72
01-05-2005, 04:59 AM
There is a module that you can install with modconf as root to see if it helps. Select kernel/sound/oss modules and scroll down to the following(highlighted). Hit enter and enter through until is says it is installed. This must be done as root. There are also other modules that you might want to look at in the sound and sound/oss categories. This is the match I found that might work:
sb - 100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support

Hope this helps.

w0lfie
01-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I just tried it with the on-chip sound enabled. I can still get the SB to work.
(though the built in chip still doesn't work, even with ALSA, but I don't really care)

In modconf, I just had to go into modconf. under kernel/sound/oss/emu10k1 add emu10k1

I think there are probably other ways of achieving the same effect, but i've got no idea. :)