PDA

View Full Version : Indepth dual boot, 2hd's, windows(1) knoppix(2) help

mkyb14
12-01-2004, 04:18 AM
Ok after spending numerous hours online staring at forums of how to do grub and lilo for dual boot i'm still at a loss for what needs to be done. The setup that i currently have is Windows hd #1, and knoppix hd #2. All of the directions of commands was confusing... they made it seem that i have to edit linux first then windows.... and windows just says to edit the boot.ini ....
1. I just want a detailed account of how to setup a dual boot with xp on primary disk, and linux of slave disk.

i'm not using one hd so i'm confused on what to do seeing as 90% of tutorials deal with one hd.

if any information is needed about my system i'm open for aim discussion and what not. i'm online 24/7.

Also if this infact can be done with my setup i'll dedicate a part of the site for a windows tutorial for this setup so that more people can leave windows behind and use the "goodness" :)

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

weedje
12-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Hello there,

I have it set up like that and it works fine, I made a partition on my slave drive called it linux formatted it in ext3 (hdb5), now to install knoppix as a hd installation simply put knoppix in your cdrom drive let it boot up, then once in knoppix open up a console type su to become root and then use this command knoppix-installer

You will get a window with some options, first configure your install,
In my case I used hdb5 as my partition to install knoppix, I used the multi user setup, it will ask you to put in a user name and password for your user and root,
be sure to have lilo being installed on the mbr, all the questions are pretty straight forward so you should not have any problems installing, next start installation...

Once it is done installing simply reboot and you will see the lilo boot loader, it will show linux first following with the option to choose which hd to boot windows from, most likely hda1, at least for me ;)

This method works for me and should work for you, it is really easy, goodluck! oh and let me know if everything worked out :)

weedje

mkyb14
12-01-2004, 06:56 PM
i have windows as my primary hd and linux as slave ... why would lilo boot up instead of windows asking between xp and knoppix.? i have the slave(knop) set as cable select for jumpers so that it should be recognized second. but if what your saying is that linux must be the primary drive for this boot loader to work then i'll have to change my hd's around ....? is that correct?

also i was told that grub was better because you don't have to do some extra config stuff if you recompile the kernal ...... lilo or grub ?

weedje
12-01-2004, 08:05 PM
You don't need to switch your harddrives around, you don't have to edit boot.ini...
In fact, you don't have to edit anything, just install knoppix on the second drive and just be sure that you install lilo onto the mbr when the installation configuration asks for it, you can either pick a partition or mbr, pick mbr... once installed, reboot and you will see...

weedje

mkyb14
12-01-2004, 08:41 PM
I believe that i've done that ... when knoppix boots it gives me a selection of three types of linux, though i've only installed one.
linux
kernal 2.?.?
kernal 2.6.?

it looks on the lines of that .... and is a colored red white and black screen.

if that infact is lilo running ... how do i get windows to show on the boot screen so that i can switch back and forth with ease ....?

heh like i stated earlier i'm new to linux somewhat and i need details for this indepth .... any help that is given i will post a detailed tutorial on my site with pictures so that windows users experienceing the same thing won't have to bug you nice people! ....

stuart_b
12-02-2004, 01:06 AM
"if that in fact is lilo running ... how do i get windows to show on the boot screen so that i can switch back and forth with ease ....?"

You haven't done something foolish like switching the hard drives in your BIOS, have you?

On installing Knoppix to the second hard drive, when the first is your Windows boot drive, it should have installed lilo to the MBR of that first drive and added Windows to the boot menu.

If the drive you installed Knoppix on was your first drive when it was installed, then it might not have properly recognized Windows on the second one--and Windows wouldn't much like booting that way, anyway. Windows 9x wants to be on the first drive, and the NT-based ones don't like to be moved around after the fact. (Linux doesn't really either, but you can often edit /etc/fstab to make it happy.)

IF that is the case, try doing the Knoppix install with the drives reversed, exactly like they are when you run Windows. (Or try it unless your Windows is NT. It will be hard to restore things with NT if the Linux install goes wrong, but any other version of Windows has tools to restore its own MBR.)

Anyway, the Knoppix installer (and most other Linux installers, as well) should have picked up your install of Windows, unless you did something weird like that or accidentally overwrote your copy of Windows.

CrashedAgain
12-02-2004, 01:20 AM
I believe that i've done that ... when knoppix boots it gives me a selection of three types of linux, though i've only installed one.
linux
kernal 2.?.?
kernal 2.6.?

it looks on the lines of that .... and is a colored red white and black screen.

if that infact is lilo running ... how do i get windows to show on the boot screen so that i can switch back and forth with ease ....?

heh like i stated earlier i'm new to linux somewhat and i need details for this indepth .... any help that is given i will post a detailed tutorial on my site with pictures so that windows users experienceing the same thing won't have to bug you nice people! ....

The 'linux' option is the same as 'linux 2.4.x', ie it boots linux using the 2.4 kernel. The linux 2.6.x' option boots linux using the 2.6 kernel.

Please post your lilo.conf file and the output of cfdisk:

Open a terminal, type 'su' to become root, then type 'cat /etc/lilo.conf' to read your lilo.conf.

Type 'cfdisk' to read the output of cfdisk.

You can copy/paste from the console to post the output.

mkyb14
12-02-2004, 05:06 AM
the way that I installed was i unplugged ALL my hd's and just pluged in the 10gig that i installed knoppix on. then i connected my c:\ (windows) disk to see what would happen if both were plugged in ... windows as ide 1 and knoppix as ide 2 .... knoppix loaded and didn't give or show an option for windows ...... eh anyways here is the config from knoppix

# Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
# here. See: The 'boot-prompt-HOWO' and 'kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel 'Documentation' directory.
#
# append=""
# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default="Linux"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
read-only

# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
# following lines, changing the device name on the 'other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
# other=/dev/hda4
# label=HURD
# restricted
# alias=3

and typing 'cfdisk' just gave me a fatal error cannot be displayed ...

would it work if i connected the hd's the way that i wanted and then reinstalled knoppix to the 2nd drive.... would that mean that it would automatically configure it so that there would be a dual boot?

CrashedAgain
12-02-2004, 05:49 AM
You need to add an entry for windows to lilo.conf similar to this:

# Boot Windows on hda1
other=/dev/hda1
label="Windows"
table=/dev/hda

Problem is, we don't know what device windows is on (in Linux terminology, whether hda or hdb). Since you say lilo boots with both hd's plugged in, I suspect Linux consider's this to be hda & Windows drive to be hdb but let's check:

in a console type: 'cat /etc/fstab'
You should get something like this:

root@1[knoppix]# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat umask=022,users 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat umask=000,users 0 0

# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda9 none swap defaults 0 0

Yours will be a bit different but there should be an entry:

/dev/hd?? / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

/dev/hd?? is where your Linux system is.

and there should be an entry:

/dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? (vfat or ntfs).....

That is where windows is.

So now you have to add to /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hd?? (wherever windows is)
label="Windows"
table=/dev/h??

Then run lilo to implement the changes.

Both the edit and the lilo must be done as root (ie 'administrator level), so

open a console, type 'su'.
You are now root.
Now type 'kate /etc/lilo.conf''. Knoppix will protest a bit but should open the file. Make the edit then save the file.
Now open another console (so we don't lose the kate editor) and type su again to become root in this console.
Now type 'mount /dev/hd??' (wherever windows is)
then type 'lilo' to implement your changes.
You should now be able to boot windows from your lilo bootloader.
If you get an error, re-edit lilo.conf to fix it. (that is why we left kate open).

Incidentally, 'cfdisk' gave an error & did not run because you were not root.

mkyb14
12-03-2004, 01:16 AM
ok after reading over your last msg i thought that it might be the jumpers that i got wrong on the slave drive ... so after going through maxtors lame website i got the settings right now...
BUT now it just loads windows automatically .... no hesitation by the system trying to recognized ide drives as it did before ..... there for i'm wondering now if i have to edit the damn windows MBR to let me choose the other drive ?

this is becomming way harder than i think that it should be. :(

CrashedAgain
12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
If you now have your HD's jumpered so that the windows drive is the boot drive, you will not be able to run your knoppix system because the lilo boot manager is not on the boot drive. You will have to install lilo onto the same drive as you are using as your boot drive.
You could use your Knoppix CD to boot into your knoppix HD install and try to edit lilo from there but that may be difficult because with the drive jumpers changed, the drive number designations may not be the same as what is in lilo.conf.
Perhaps the easiest solution is to reinstall knoppix but do the install with both HD's connected as there are going to be on the final system. Knoppix will then auto detect all partitions and include the windows option when it installs lilo. The HD install program should find the linux formatted HD & offer to install linux there. When prompted, put lilo on the MBR and it will install lilo to the mbr of the designated boot drive, ie the windows drive.

mkyb14
12-03-2004, 02:24 AM
ok so i reverted the jumpers to master so that it boots to debian instead of windows .....

ok so after following your last steps on seeing if debian can see the hd? for windows i booted up with just the two drives ... windows doesn't show on the desktop as any drive .... i'm assuming that debian isn't seeing the drive then .... there for what am i to put on the config if i don't know the drive label?

mkyb14
12-04-2004, 04:05 AM
heh i tried that and it woudnl't format the drive (slave knoppix) or install to it ... strange ... but i will keep trying till i find something .... i really want this to work

CrashedAgain
12-04-2004, 06:08 AM
ok so i reverted the jumpers to master so that it boots to debian instead of windows .....

ok so after following your last steps on seeing if debian can see the hd? for windows i booted up with just the two drives ... windows doesn't show on the desktop as any drive .... i'm assuming that debian isn't seeing the drive then .... there for what am i to put on the config if i don't know the drive label?
To determine if linux is seeing the drive do 'cat /etc/fstab'. All the partitions linux can findwill be listed there...wait, maybe not. If you did a 'debian style' hdinstall fstab (short for file system table, btw) will be created at initial install and will show only the drives it could see at the time. If you did a 'Knoppix style install, the system autoconfigures & creates a new fstab each boot.

If you still have an intact knoppix system installed, you may be able to create a new fstab by running 'sudo /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig'. This is the script knoppix uses to configure itself when running from CD or from Knoppix style HDinstall. It should work....but there is always the possibility it might screw up.

From your last post I guess you tried unsuccessfully to reinstall. What error message did you get? Did it actually find the second HD & refuse to install to it or did it just not find it?

You can tell what drives it is finding when you are running from the CD by running cfdisk ('sudo cfdisk'). You should get a list of all partitions found & the filetype on each.

mkyb14
12-04-2004, 10:28 AM
when i tried to re-install the the app that loads wouldn't let me delete the partitions and format so that i could re-install with the windows hd connected to see if knoppix would automatically recognize it and do lilo for a dual boot.... but i will plug both hd's together and boot. when debian loads i'll try your commands that you have suggested to see if they will work for the dual boot

mkyb14
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
after setting the jumpers up and booting from the CD i've seen that it know reads both the windows drive hde1 and the cdrom boot

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /etc/fstab
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdf1 /mnt/hdf1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

i sill cannot however run 'sudo cfdisk' ... it gives me a fatal error.

therefore i started knoppix-installer
now i'm at the screen where it ask's where to install the boot lilo ... mbr or partition .... seeing as i'm on different hd's i woudlnt' think that it's partition .... so i'm gonna leave it up like this till i get a respose on what to do with lilo so thati can get it installed .... seeing as i've never gotten it this far i don't want to shut it down :) what's next?[/b]

mkyb14
12-05-2004, 11:21 PM
the easiest way to get this for windows users is to make hd #1 or windows in my case primary on the cable as well as the jumpers for the hd. Then drive to slave on the cable and jumpers .... put the knoppix cd in and boot up to it ... then 'knoppix' loads it from disc.... then open the terminal and 'knoppix-installer' ... when it asks you to format and what not it will say something on the lines of MBR or partition for the lilo boot manager ... choose MBR.... then once install is done to the SLAVE hd, restart .... take the cd out and BOOM you have dual boot for knoppix 3.6 and windows xp pro sp2 ..... ownage heh!
machine one is intel 633 celeron (emachines 633id)
machine two is a custom: amd athlon xp +2000 ---(dual boot)

i'll post some tutorials for getting a basic webserver setup on this debian stuff ... since it took me so long i figure i'll make it easy for others. i'll post back when i get it done.

http://www.sit-and-spin.com

CrashedAgain
12-06-2004, 05:13 AM
Glad you got it working.

mkyb14
12-06-2004, 07:59 AM
and as promised i'll soon post a tutorial indepth for a basic windows / knoppix tutorial for others to follow.
also for php, mysql, and apache.... seeing as no one has done so in one complete article ... i'll post back in a few days when i get it fully detailed. :) thanks again to everyone that helped

sakiZ
12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I just installed Knoppix to my 2nd hard drive dual booting with XP. I runs great!

I used a method I have not seen on this forum. I used a boot loader utility called bootpart.

Get it from www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm See also the relevant documentation regarding debian and dual boot.

It is great for Linux newbies. With bootpart I can skip Lilo.

Instead, bootpart puts a line into the boot.ini menu. I mean that literally. It installs the new menu option for you. You type nothing.

It is extremely easy to use and almost configures itself.

I highly recommend it.

sakiZ