PDA

View Full Version : I want Knoppix

someone28624
12-01-2004, 04:41 AM
I'm a newbie. I've never used Linux before. I'm not the most techie person you will meet, but I can survive in a technical world, especially with some support. And I am ready to try Linux. I mainly want an alternative to Windows and to try something new. I decided to start with Knoppix because I can run it from the cd. I'm already having problems though. I download it, and the file appears on my desk top. I try to open it and it tells me that I need to put my Nero cd in. I do, and it doesn't recognize it. I try to burn just that, and I get an error. Oh well, I just ordered the disk. I'm just too excited to try it to wait for it to get delivered. Here are my questions:

1. Is a web browser included. If so, what?
2. I am a college student and my laptop is hooked up to a network most of the time. I'm running Win XP Pro right now. Will I be able to get on my network with Knoppix?
3. Once I get on will I be able to get to my old files that are saved to my hard drive? I know I will have to use Open Office, but I already have the windows version of Open Office. I know the cd comes with Open Office.
4. Any problems I may expect?
5. Once running Knoppix do I simply restart my computer to go back to windows?
6. Will this be easy enough for me to use, or will I need to memorize codes and stuff like with DOS?

Thanks for you help!

fester13
12-01-2004, 05:27 AM
1. Is a web browser included. If so, what?

Yes, it includes Mozilla and Konquerer

2. I am a college student and my laptop is hooked up to a network most of the time. I'm running Win XP Pro right now. Will I be able to get on my network with Knoppix?

Yes, you may have to enable DHCP, but you should have no problem connecting to your network, connecting to the internet, etc.

3. Once I get on will I be able to get to my old files that are saved to my hard drive? I know I will have to use Open Office, but I already have the windows version of Open Office. I know the cd comes with Open Office. and # 5

The nice thing about knoppix is that it doesn't touch your hard drive. When you reboot, everything goes back to the way it was before you ran Knoppix. You will be able to access your files. You may encounter a problem when saving. Utilizing a Flash Drive to store files you have saved will be your best bet.

4. Any problems I may expect?

As with anything, problems may occur. Also another nice thing about knoppix, reboot, and start over. Some of your hardware may not work (Video Card, DVD Player, Wireless Card) but this will tell you if Knoppix will work with the hardware you have installed.

6. Will this be easy enough for me to use, or will I need to memorize codes and stuff like with DOS?

Absolutely, there are plenty of resources available to you to utilize, such as this forum. There are also books available all over.

In regards to your Nero Issue, most of the files that you download for Linux are in ISO format. Open your CD Burning program and look for "create cd using ISO or image file". This will allow you to burn the image to the CD and not just the file itself.

Hope this helps. I am new myself, but you can pick up on all of this pretty quick.

Fester