PDA

View Full Version : HD install different to when running CD ?

mike_the_bike
12-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I'd got everything running fine on the CD (including sound at last!). I'd used the following cheat codes

knoppix26 pnpbios=off lang=us wheelmouse
I then installed everything onto the hard drive using

knoppix-installer

Now when I log in I get an error saying it doesn't recognise /dev/dsp and hence I get no sound. Problem was everything worked fine using the CD. I used to get this problem on the CD if I didn't specify knoppix26 and I found I needed pnpbios=off if I used knoppix26.

Help.

Mike Robinson

CrashedAgain
12-01-2004, 11:46 PM
I'd got everything running fine on the CD (including sound at last!). I'd used the following cheat codes

knoppix26 pnpbios=off lang=us wheelmouse
I then installed everything onto the hard drive using

knoppix-installer

Now when I log in I get an error saying it doesn't recognise /dev/dsp and hence I get no sound. Problem was everything worked fine using the CD. I used to get this problem on the CD if I didn't specify knoppix26 and I found I needed pnpbios=off if I used knoppix26.

Help.

Mike Robinson

Check the file /etc/lilo.conf. There should be a line 'append="ramdisk=xxxx....etc"' . This is the equivalent of booting with these cheatcodes. If your pnpbios=off is not in this list, add it in; then run lilo to implement your changes. You won't have to add the knoppix26, you should have that option on your boot menu.
Both the edit and the run lilo must be done as root.
This may get your sound working, if it doesn't, post again, there are some other setups often needed for sound.

mike_the_bike
12-02-2004, 09:47 AM
First time I've looked at the /etc/lilo.conf file but it seems fine (though none mention knoppix26). It would surprise me if this was wrong as this would imply every hard disk installation would go wrong.

default="Linux"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce pnpbios=off lang=us wheelmouse"
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce pnpbios=off lang=us wheelmouse"
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
read-only
If I run dmesg then it implies I'm using kernel 2.6.7

Linux version 2.6.7 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-3)) #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004
But I get the following types of errors

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

and

# play /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device

and of course no sound !

Mike Robinson

ewangr
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I wonder if the problem you are seeing is similar to the problem reported in the following thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14446&highlight=

Might be worth a shot...

CrashedAgain
12-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Try running /etc/init.d/alsa-config. You may have to be root so 'sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-config'.

To add your cheatcode, add to the 'append=' line of the boot entry you are using. (or just add it to all of them).

Here is an excerpt from a previous post concerning no sound; you may have to go though these steps also.

To get your sounds working, enable sounds in kde control center (which you hav already done), then enable all system notification sounds. Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'yes'. Why kde doesn't do this automatically is a mystery to me since the user is obviously trying to enable system sounds but it doesn't.