PDA

View Full Version : connect to the internet

sunpascal
12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
thanks for your help!

first of all I am not sure what kind of modem I have. There is an ethernet cable going out of my pc and directly into a modem that the provider gave me. I looked on the site of the isp but they don't explain anything. On windows i just used the connection setup wizard chose direct connection to the internet using broadcast connection. I just typed in the username & password from my isp and it worked. How come that doesn't work in knoppix?

I don't get how ipconfig /release works. Does it store the configuration of windows on the hard disk? Or does it have to do with the network card? Will Knoppix do the rest by itself?

Is there a way to check weather my network card is detected by knoppix?

Pascal

jaykay
12-02-2004, 12:59 PM
you proberbly need to give a litle bit more info on this one. IE is it a cable connection or a router connection you are using, who is your ISP etc.

Normally if you have a broadband connection using a router and your isp uses dymanmic ip addressing knoppix will pick this up out of the box, I dont even need to put in a password or user name it recognises my connection no problems.

your windows network config has no bearing on knoppix at all, it is completley independent. post some more info

Jim

sunpascal
12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
thanks for your answer!

I used ran ipconfig from windows cmd to get the ip adress + subnet mask and this stuff and then just entered it in netcardconfig.

It works now.

pascal