PDA

View Full Version : vim highlighting

luis_lupe
12-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi,

I've installed Knoppix 3.6 to my hard drive and started it in run level 3.

The problem is that I get no syntax highlighting.

I've checked ~/.vimrc and it has syntax on
I even added the line: source /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/syntax.vim

I've also added this line to /etc/vim/vimrc

but I continue to have no hl

what else should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

markb
12-02-2004, 01:40 AM
The problem is that I get no syntax highlighting.

I've checked ~/.vimrc and it has syntax on
I even added the line: source /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/syntax.vim

I've also added this line to /etc/vim/vimrc

I don't have Knoppix installed but I suspect that you only have the console vim installed. You probably need the gui vim which on KDE is called kvim. So, firstly remove the source line you added to your .vimrc and /etc/vim/vimrc - you shouldn't need to add anything explicit for syntax highlighting. Then do a "apt-get install kvim" to get it.

luis_lupe
12-02-2004, 02:32 PM
But I'm only using console mode. The computer where I'm running Knoppix only has 32 MB of memory.

Still, there should be a way to have vim with syntax highlighting on in console mode.

The graphic card and monitor support colors.

Luis

markb
12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
But I'm only using console mode. The computer where I'm running Knoppix only has 32 MB of memory.

Still, there should be a way to have vim with syntax highlighting on in console mode.
Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I mean that the "console" compiled version of vim probably doesn't have syntax highlighting compiled in. E.g. type ":ver" from within your vim and see if you have "+syntax" or "-syntax". You probably have "-syntax" but if you download and install kvim then "+syntax" will now be turned on (even when you run vim in the console). Note that kvim is just a link to vim which starts vim with the "-g" for gui switch. So when you install kvim you are just installing a bigger vim with more compiled in features. Of course, you won't be running kvim because you will not be running X11.