PDA

View Full Version : LILO fails on HD install

bazfum
12-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm trying to install Knoppix 3.6 to my HD. I selected the "prefered" method in the installer. Everything gets copied fine, but then when it goes to run LILO, it spits out "/dev/mapper/control: open failed: no such device" and dies on me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

CrashedAgain
12-02-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm trying to install Knoppix 3.6 to my HD. I selected the "prefered" method in the installer. Everything gets copied fine, but then when it goes to run LILO, it spits out "/dev/mapper/control: open failed: no such device" and dies on me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

"everything gets copied fine"...are you saying the installer finishes withth 'Knoppix successfully installed to HD' message but won't boot?

If so , try booting from your CD with the bootcode :
knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro lang=us
(substitute hda-where your Knoppix install is for hda5)
This should boot into your HD installation. If it boots successfully, attempt to reinstall lilo with the command 'sudo lilo'.
If it doesn't, something went wrong with your HD install & you may have to redo the install.

bazfum
12-02-2004, 09:04 PM
That did the trick.Thanks. I should have thought of it myself. I still got the error messages about no mapper, but it did install LILO.