PDA

View Full Version : updating to 3.2

emanuelez
03-30-2003, 04:55 PM
ok... i have my knoppix 3.1 up and running properly on my machine.
but.. WOW... knoppix 3.2 looks cool!!! is there any way to update my hdd installation to 3.2 without loosing my precious (???) data?
thx for help!

MattT
03-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Sorry for this post. Read the next. This forum bugs me. It keeps logging me off while I'm writing, causing me to post twice. And I can't delete my own posts.

MattT
03-30-2003, 08:42 PM
As far as I know there is no tool to do this. The first thing to do is to copy your home directory to another partition or CDRW.
cp -Rfp /home /mnt/hda#
Use the p because that will keep all of you permisions the same. Replace the # with the partition number.

Then install 3.2 and copy your home directory back. This might cause problems because you are moving from KDE3.0 to 3.1. Other updated programs might cause problems also. The easiest way to fix this is to delete the settings to these particular programs. You find these by looking at hidden directories with names like .netscape in your /home/yourname directory.

This is the easiest way to preserve you data. Any extra programs you have installed will need to be reinstalled.

Hope this helps
Good Luck :)

Stephen
03-31-2003, 09:19 AM
A better way to keep the settings and data is to create an extra partition and mount it after install and copy you home directories then edit the fstab to mount the new partition as /home and reboot then you have fixed home partition and any time you re-install just edit the fstab again and all your settings and data are there.