PDA

View Full Version : installed icewm, cannot get back into kde

helios17
12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I pulled a noob stunt. It all started when I wanted to install galeon, got some apt errors and was instructed to apt-get install galeon --fix-missing. Worked like a charm. But the window manager instantly changed to icewm. now I have no option to get back into kde. tried dropping down to init 3 and did startx kde cause I didnt know what to do. obviously that didnt work. how do I get back into kde? Oh yeah...knoppix 3.6 hd install.

thanx

helios

CrashedAgain
12-03-2004, 01:32 AM
I pulled a noob stunt. It all started when I wanted to install galeon, got some apt errors and was instructed to apt-get install galeon --fix-missing. Worked like a charm. But the window manager instantly changed to icewm. now I have no option to get back into kde. tried dropping down to init 3 and did startx kde cause I didnt know what to do. obviously that didnt work. how do I get back into kde? Oh yeah...knoppix 3.6 hd install.

thanx

helios
Perhaps boot to a console then 'kdm'. That should bring up the kdm login manager.
Or try edit your lilo 'append=' line to add 'desktop=kde'. This is equivalent to booting with the cheatcode 'desktop=kde'.

helios17
12-03-2004, 01:58 AM
thanx Dude...that edit hack did the trick. I'm a bit embarrassed I did not think of it. I am also a bit mystified as to why this upgrade/install would hose my kde, but what the heck. You gave me one for the files here.

thanx again crash

helios