PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Hardware Detection in Debian

rnatalli02101
12-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to get the Knoppix autoconfiguration working in Debian sarge/sid without success. Specifically, I wanted the knoppix autoconfiguration for the X server and for updating the fstab. On Debian, I have most of the hardware detection packages installed such as discover, mdetect, read-edid, etc. I've also tried xdebconfigurator without success. Knoppix does an excellent job of detecting my video and monitor and sets it up without a hitch. It also updates the fstab correctly. On my Debian system, it detects all the hardware as I can see during boot, but it does nothing more. What I'm hoping to do is take these 2 features from knoppix and add them to my current system. I imagine this involves copying a couple of knoppix script files and installing some software packages, but I've been unsuccessful in getting it to work propertly. Has anyone done this? Thanks!

CrashedAgain
12-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Knoppix boot up uses the script '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' but this may call other scripts to detect hardware & set thing up. One of these is mkxfconfig which detects video etc & sets up /etc/X11/XK86Config-4. Knoppix uses kudzu (which I think was adapted from mandrake) to do at least part of the hardware detection.
The scripts which are being used to start up a system are listed in /etc/rcS.d.
Hardware detection is one of Knoppix's real strong points, adapting it to a native Debian install may be difficult.
You could try trading in your Debian install for a Knoppix based HDinstall; actually Kanotix is recommended for this. (Kanotix is a Knoppix spinoff). I've just recently put on a Kanotix HDinstall, looks like it will work out OK, very close to a Debian SID install.