PDA

View Full Version : I cant write to hard disk

cubrovic
12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
I m kind of newbie in linux world

I started to use knoppix this days and I having a problem that I cant write to my hard drives except to the knoppix temp folder (is this folder in hard disk realy or in memory ?!).
First I thought that has to do something cause the drive are NTFS but I created small FAT32 partition and it doesn work on it too.
I m trying to change acces permissions buta I cant change it. And those permission look ok infact. I change pass for admin and try to login as admin but when I logoff my screen is flickering a lot in console mode (out of kde due to the old bad monitor) so I cant manage to do anything useful then not even to login as root ?!
Can anyone help me with some pointers on this one.

CrashedAgain
12-03-2004, 01:19 AM
I m kind of newbie in linux world

I started to use knoppix this days and I having a problem that I cant write to my hard drives except to the knoppix temp folder (is this folder in hard disk realy or in memory ?!).
First I thought that has to do something cause the drive are NTFS but I created small FAT32 partition and it doesn work on it too.
I m trying to change acces permissions buta I cant change it. And those permission look ok infact. I change pass for admin and try to login as admin but when I logoff my screen is flickering a lot in console mode (out of kde due to the old bad monitor) so I cant manage to do anything useful then not even to login as root ?!
Can anyone help me with some pointers on this one.
Try mounting the partitions manually:

sudo mount -rw /dev/hdaX

Don't try to write to your ntfs partitions unless you use 'captive ntfs', you will screw up the ntfs filesystems.